Adopted 2 kittens ~6 months. First time cat owner. Questions

itzbranman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my wife and I wanted an animal because I've had dogs my whole life and she's had cats her whole life. Since I've joined the military I haven't had an animal companion and so we came to marital compromise and got a cat! :)

I have quickly gone from a dog loving cat hater to treating my Salem and Khaleesi like I can't live without them. (I can't!)

We've had them for 2 weeks now and I wanted some insight on some what I consider strange behaviors outlined below.

1.) Salem the male, has a few weird things he does. First, he loves licking fingertips. I mean like, he will actively seek out my wife and my fingertips. It's not because there's food on them either because it can be any time. Freshly showered? Doesn't matter. Hands washed? Doesn't matter. Just ate dinner? He still licks with the same intensity.
The worst part, when you try to pull away he will grab you with his paws and pull your hand back. Sometimes (not always) he will dig in with claws to pull your hand back. He's not doing it to hurt me I can tell by how he does it. Does anyone know why he does this?

2.) Also Salem, he is scared of our blankets on our living room couch. I mean like, he treats them like predators. I tried sitting on one of them and getting him to walk across it to get to me and he won't. He crouches beside it like he's hiding and then he will swat at it with his paw and when his claw connects he jumps straight up and runs away. This is with all of the blankets in the living room.
On the other hand, our blanket on our bedroom bed? He's completely fine with. The only differences in the blankets mentioned are that the 3 in the living room are fuzzy and the one in the bedroom is not. Khaleesi has no problems with the blankets.
He also is SUPER skittish when he's focused on these blankets (anytime they catch his eye) and if you try to pet him while he's focused on them he will pull away from you like you just scared the hell out of him.

No problems from Khaleesi. We treat them exactly the same, they eat the same food, live together. We're from the same litter. I'm baffled here.

Besides these things, the 2 are the perfect duo. They play together, cuddle with each other and us, and are happy kitties. Any insight is much appreciated.
Here is Khaleesi.

And here is Salem and I chilling. (He's my bro)

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your kittens are so cute. 

I think I can answer the first question. Cats lick you because they are comfortable with you and you are their family, they lick their mother and their siblings, they lick you. It's like petting.

Some cats lick compulsively because they are stressed and want some attention and to be soothed (I'm sure you are already giving your kitten a lot of attention).

Some cats who were weaned to soon or orphaned tend can excessively lick. 

Some cats lick to mark you as theirs.

You could just gently withdraw your hand and redirect her attention to something else, a toy would work or you could try giving her coat a good brushing.

iwilltakethem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I dont have an answer exactly to your second question but I do have some experience with something similar. I had a cat once that came to me from a friend of mine. He had an obsession with a black fuzzy cover I had on my couch. He would turn into a kitten. Even trying to 'nurse' from the blanket. Its was definiteltnjm