Administering Meds to a Cat Who Has Had a Stroke

crazysection88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our man Georgie is approximately 9 yrs old ,He showed up at out house as a stray in 2017, we took him in so we really don't know his exact age. He is now strictly an indoor cat. On a sunday 1/28/2024 he came barely running through the house howling this horrible meow and his left back leg limping behind him. We thought he had injured himself some how. He went from spot to spot and lay like he could not get comfortable and he would hiss at us when we tried to look for the problem. We live in a small town, the vet is 40 mins away and a emergency vet is even further so we had to wait till the next day to contact our local vet who told us to bring him right in. They told my husband that he was not injured that he had had a stroke. So they gave him Meds to treat the stroke and kept him for 3 days.
George is home doing well, we were worried because he had not eatin since the event. His first day home he slept all day but did try to eat two pieces of dry food an a little sip of water and as the days have passed he is eating/drinking normally. He still limps his left leg most of the time but does bare weight on it some of the time, he still uses it to scratch. it doesn't look discolored or feel cold. His personality is somewhat subdued but he has tried to play with the youngest of our 6 (counting him) cats. Hes the only boy of the group :)
Our problem is getting him to take the blood thinner, we have tried every trick. My husband doesn't want me to scruff him (grabbing his scruff and putting it down his throat) he is afraid the exercision could cause a problem. So i am looking for options to get his daily dose of the thinner in him. the plavix is a large round white pill that we have to cut into 4 does but its still pretty big and has a very bitter taste. there is no foods strong enough to mask that bitter taste. Thanks for any advise. :):)

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise