Adjustment time? Please help, behavior issues!

nedgar08

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We adopted two young cats from the humane society four months ago, a male & female (~6 months old, both fixed, with claws). The female was pretty scared & avoided contact with us at first. After 4 months, she's still skittish to the point where we think she may be part feral. She won't approach us, she runs away & hides when we approach her, and refuses to be picked up. She has drawn blood a few times with her back claws. She also "freaks out" sometimes and at night jumps on the bed and runs across my face, leaving bloody scratches and almost getting my eyes. That has happened twice now in the past week, and I don't know what to do. This behavior has to stop before we have children, because I don't want to worry about our kids getting scratched. We've given her four months to adjust - we're very nice and try cuddling and giving her treats. Our male cat is loving and behaves well, except he likes to paw at the water in his dish. Anyway, please, please help! We're so frustrated and may bring her back to the humane society if we can't find a solution.

herekittykitty8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How terrible for you.

Has she had ANY type of improvement at all since she came to live with you, even if slight? I'm assuming there was no history on her since she came from the shelter. But, would you happen to know if her & your other cat were littermates? It would help shed light on whether or not she is feral.

Have you tried feliway?

In the meantime, can you try locking her out at night so she doesn't hurt you in your sleep?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nedgar08

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's improved a little in four months - she'll lay by me on the couch or when I'm sleeping. She occasionally seeks out attention by rubbing against my legs. She plays with toys and mock fights with our other cat. She likes to lick.

I don't know our cats' histories. They're not related, but they spent time together at the humane society in the cat room. I tried a feliway collar on her for a month, mostly to help stop my male cat from playing too rough...I couldn't see a difference in behavior with either of them. I could try that again.

I'm willing to close our bedroom door at night, but I'm worried about when we have children. I can't close both our door and our child's, and I don't want to worry about my cat scratching them (intentionally or unintentionally).

Thanks for replying!!

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, I would stop trying to pick up/cuddle with your cat, most likely you are scaring her more than making her feel loved.
Secondly, the 'night crazies' are normal. Cats are most active right after dusk and right before dawn, so she's just burning energy. If she's running over you, just lock her out of your room at night, she'll be fine.
Thirdly, there is no such thing as part feral, and since she lives with you and allows petting and normal cat behavior sometimes, she is not a feral.

It sounds like she has had a rough path, and just needs some soft loving. Speak quietly around her, continue to give her treats for coming to you, pet her softly, etc. Don't try to approach her from a standing position, don't try to pick her up or move her, don't give her prolonged eye contact.

Let us know what happens.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I agree.. leave her alone. She'll come when she's ready. She needs to learn that you aren't out there to harm her