Adjustment Period For My Cats

Ohhmichasia

The feline freak
Kitten
Purraise
Hey there!
I’m new to this, and am looking for some advice on my cats and their behaviors...or should I say one of my cats and her behavior, specifically.

About a week ago I adopted a 4 month old kitten and introduced her to my three adult cats I already have at home. All of them are girls, including the kitten. My adults are spayed. Two of them are four years old and the third cat is 18 months. Now the two older girls have accepted the four month old, reluctantly but quickly. My 18 month old, on the other hand, has changed a bit.

She used to be extremely playful and energetic, terrorizing my two older cats. She would be vocal and sassy, she would always come up to me every night and sleep in the chair next to my bed. Now she stays isolated, sleeps more, cries when you touch her, almost like she has a headache. She isn’t as playful and her activity level overall has dropped. She still eats and drinks water, and uses the washroom, so I’m thinking this is something behavioral.

She does become upset when the four month old approaches her but tolerates it, even deals with the kitten jumping all over her. But she just isn’t her crazy, rambunctious self, and does like to hide much more to avoid the kitten.

I’m assuming this is about the newcomer, and if so, is there any way to help my third cat feel less threatened? Is this something someone has ever experienced? It’s as if she’s lost all spirit, and it makes me sad and concerned. If this sound like a medical problem, should I be concerned and get her checked out right away?

Someone please help!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi and welcome to the site. There are a threads here that will offer help and advice with your issues, have a look around.
Your 18 month old is like a teenager at the moment, full of hormones she doesnt understand. There is a newcomer in the house who she doesnt know and I suspect is a little jealous. You will have to teach them to play together, a ball of wool or a feather, that type of thing worked for me. Make a fuss over both of them at the same time if possible. It may take a little time but you will get there

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Build some kitten free time into her day or night, and pet her during the freedom (i.e. with the door closed). You could also try the Jackson Galaxy "My Cat from Hell" approach, building more cat trees/structures so the older cat has somewhere defensible to go.

You actually got a bit lucky with only 1 out of 3 being bugged by the new kitten, and maybe also a bit lucky in having the usual anxiety but with, it sounds like, a bit less of the hostile demonstrative behaviors than normal (hiss, growl, swat). This hopefully will make the way forward a bit easier.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ohhmichasia

The feline freak
Kitten
Purraise
Build some kitten free time into her day or night, and pet her during the freedom (i.e. with the door closed). You could also try the Jackson Galaxy "My Cat from Hell" approach, building more cat trees/structures so the older cat has somewhere defensible to go.

You actually got a bit lucky with only 1 out of 3 being bugged by the new kitten, and maybe also a bit lucky in having the usual anxiety but with, it sounds like, a bit less of the hostile demonstrative behaviors than normal (hiss, growl, swat). This hopefully will make the way forward a bit easier.
I agree, I was anxious they would all be hostile and more aggressive towards her, so I was relieved to see the other ladies adapt easily. I do have two cat trees, 5 hanging cat shelves and they jump up ontop of my fridge and hang out up there all of the time, especially since it connects to the top of my kitchen cabinets. I think I’m just an overall paranoid person so hearing this type of feedback makes me feel better. I think you guys are right because my 18 month old is approaching me more now. I just worry about my fur baby.