Adjusting to a Move

shuttercat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I just have a question.

I moved away to college about 2 years ago, having to leave poor Oliver behind because I was to live in the dorms. I'm going to be moving into a house with two other girls in a few months, and I want to bring him here. Normally, I would consider leaving him with my parents because he's happy at their home, but my father is getting tired of caring for him, and of spending money on him when he's my cat to begin with.

I'm just not sure how to begin helping him adjust to a new home. Not only will he be in a new place with new people, but he will no longer be able to go outside (at my parents' he goes outside to potty and all that jazz, and comes in to sleep, eat, etc). The house where I'll be moving to is in a much more populated neighborhood (on the southside of Jacksonville) and we don't have a fence (not that a fence would keep an enormous 4 year old Maine Coon from escaping)

Any advice?

twobananaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
personally, I would treat the move like you were bringing a new cat into the home, and keep him in a "safe" room for the first week or so, to get him used to being in a new home, and to make sure there is a litter box and such in the room with him. this is what I plan to do when my husband and I move in a few years: set up one room as the safe room for the animals, and not let them out really for the first week or so, or until I feel they aren't going to try to run away and go back to the old home.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A word of forewarning, a main coon used to going outside will be very difficult to teach to stay inside, especially since you will have to train him to use litter and there might be lots of accidents out of the box for a while

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shuttercat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, the safe room is a good idea.

I'm not too worried about him adjusting to a litter box, because when my parents leave their house, they leave all cats inside with 2 litter boxes... so he'll already know what to do with it.

I just can't get over feeling bad for him having to be kept inside all the time

aprilyim

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ShutterCat

Yeah, the safe room is a good idea.

I'm not too worried about him adjusting to a litter box, because when my parents leave their house, they leave all cats inside with 2 litter boxes... so he'll already know what to do with it.

I just can't get over feeling bad for him having to be kept inside all the time
Maybe you can take him on walks yourself from time to time? One of my neighbors has a harness and leash for his GINORMOUS cat. It won't be the same as him being able to explore on his own, but if you think he really minds not being able to go outside this could be a safe alternative?

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A santuary room is definitely what you will need for your guy for a week or so. And, I agree, that it will be very difficult for him in the beginning not to want to go outside. He may try many times to run out the door. Make sure he is micro-chipped and wears a safety collar as well, just in case.
If he is confined to a room for a bit, he will have to adjust to be an indoor only cat. It is soooooooo much safer for them and there are sooooo many new toys and cool stuff for indoor only cats. Also, you can start a routine of interactive play with wand toys!! I do two short sessions a day with my cats, and this fulfills their need to hunt, play, and KILL the toy
Your cat will burn off more energy that way too and you will re-bond with him since having gone off to college. GOOO