Adjusting 10 year old cat to new home?

nateanderson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A week ago, we adopted a 10-year old cat who had been with her previous family for her entire life. We believe the previous family treated her very well, and they say she was very affectionate. However, she seems to be struggling with the change. She barricades herself away and hisses whenever my wife or I get near her. Within the past few days she has begun to venture around our place, but still growls or hisses whenever we are in sight. Attempting to pet her or even put a hand near her will usually result in a hiss, swat, or bite. We're trying to give her space (which is somewhat limited unfortunately in our apartment) and letting her come to us on her own time, but are there any other tips that may assist the cat in adjusting to her new home? I'm also planning on trying a Feliway diffuser.

Thanks!

sonnyvincent

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had this issue when I first adopted my cat, Max, who was then 4 years old. He had been with one family all of his life then in a matter of a couple months was given to another family, abandoned, taken in by a woman who wasn't allowed to have him, then I adopted him. He was defensive and scared. I set up an area for him in a long closet, one end with his own litter box, and one end with food and water, with a blanket in the middle. One of the four doors was left slightly ajar so he could come out when he wanted to. Sometimes he would come out for a couple minutes and let me pet him then suddenly he'd growl and run back into the closet. He warmed up to my kitten before he warmed up to me. I had a diffuser from the start but it didn't have an effect on him.

It was about a week before he came out of the closet regularly. Even then, he kept his distance. He didn't growl or hiss anymore but he didn't really want anything to do with me. He would sometimes lie on my bed then quickly jump off then eventually he started sleeping at the end of my bed (nowhere near me though, of course). It was actually 5 months before he jumped on my lap for the first time. He will still only let me pet him for a little while before he gets too much and jumps down, but he is very affectionate with my sister now. With the cat you have being much older than Max was, it'll probably take her longer to stop feeling afraid and overwhelmed.

So I would just say find her a space of her own where she feels safe, even if it's a corner or under a table, where she can go and spend time until she's ready to venture out. She's probably so overwhelmed by the change, and unsure of who you are and why she's suddenly in these new surroundings with nothing she recognizes from her old life. When I got Max, I lived in a one room efficiency and was able to find him a spot of his own. If you have a table and can put a blanket over it so that she can come and go as she pleases, even that might give her the space she needs. 

Last edited:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you had her to the vet for a check up? 

She may just need time to settle down and adjust to her new home.  Spend time with her by sitting on the floor and just talking to her.  Don't try to pet or hold her. 

Offer her yummy treats to entice her.  Plain cooked chicken, tuna or a special cat treat are favorites.  See if she will come close to you with a treat.  Don't try to pet her just yet.  Build her trust first.  Food is usually a great motivator.

2bcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We did this once, took in a cat about 13 years old who we think had one home. The other person couldn't care for her any longer. She was very hidey for the first few weeks I'd say but eventually adapted and was rather affectionate and in fact talkative. I don't remember the outright negative behavior you are describing but for now I would hold out hope that it just needs more time. You've removed her from her routine and that is unsettling to her. A week might be barely getting started for adjustment.