Adding two new cats at once - terrible idea?

jazzygemmy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!

I am new to the site and have a very important question-I hope I posted this in the right place.

I currently have two cats, there is Hex, who is my Siamese cross (5yo-female) and is definitely what I would consider an alpha cat. She is basically my child. Then, I have Bill Kitten, an orange tabby maine coon x (5yo-male). I have had Hex for 4-5 years now and Bill has been with me for almost a year. They both get along swimmingly and are 100% comfortable with each other. I had never really considered adding another buddy into the mix, until recently when...

I fell madly in LOVE with a male lynx point Siamese x at the humane society the other day. My husband and I actually went to the shelter to look at dogs and I wandered into the cat section. Both times I adopted my current cats, I liked them, but I didn't fall in love until I got to know them more. I actually loved this cat so much, my heart hurt. There was definitely this STRONG chemistry between us. I couldn't deny it. My husband noticed as well and agreed that we needed to take him home. I happily announced to the shelter staff that I would like an adoption form. They told me that "Simba" needed to be adopted with his brother, Blue. I was crushed. Blue is also a Siamese x and was gorgeous, but a little more standoff-ish. My husband considered taking them both, but I declined. I figured introducing two more cats to our already quiet, peaceful home was a disaster waiting to happen.

It's been three long days and I still can't get him out of my mind. I feel like he is SUPPOSED to be with me. Now, I am considering adopting both so I can bring him home. So, my question is...does this sound like an awful idea? We have the space, we have the funds, and I am a stay at home mom, so we definitely have the time...I just feel bad not really WANTING the brother, but only getting him because they are a "package deal."

Thanks guys!

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS. I don't think that integrating two cats into your household is much tougher than integrating one as long as you follow the slow and careful introduction method outlined here: http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats.

It can be difficult, and there's always a risk that they may all just be able to tolerate each other in the end, but given that all four cats are used to being around other cats, I don't think you'll run into too much difficulty.

I'm actually glad that the HS is keeping the bonded brothers together. While it may be harder on you, it will be much easier on Simba and Blue to have each other. I can't imagine being separated and going to a new home at the same time. I wouldn't feel bad that you don't have the same affection for Blue. We bond differently with each cat, and some cats are definitely less affectionate with humans. That may also change as he becomes more familiar with you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jazzygemmy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you SO much for the quick reply. I had actually considered that it may perfectly well happen that in the end, I could always end up being a bigger fan of Blue once I got to know him. Isn't that how it works out sometimes in life ;-) I am going to go visit them both today and see if I cannot come to a conclusion after spending a bit more time with both of them. I guess the plus, would be that if they all learned to just tolerate each other, my current cats would still be friends and blue and simba would be friends. No one would be left out ;-)