Adding Organs For Alnutrin... Which Ones?

Dinosnores

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So after waffling back and forth for about a year, I'm finally ready to take the plunge and switch my cat to a 100% raw diet. Ideally, I want to get him on frankenprey, but I'm going to start with ground and work my way up since he's never had to chew bones before and won't have the jaw strength. I figure he can get introduced to the concept of raw through ground, and then I can start giving him easy things to chew like chicken necks and wings once he's eating raw regularly, eventually working my way up to meaty chunks.

So my plan is to buy ground boneless meats from hare today and add in Alnutrin with eggshell and some organs to make them complete. My question is, which organs should I add and how much of each kind? It says "1 pound of organ mix with liver", how much of that pound needs to be liver and how much should be other things like hearts, lungs, gizzards, etc?

Also, I was planning to add green lipped mussel powder to my homemade ground mix to give my guy some extra omega 3 since Alnutrin is apparently light on that, in addition to raw goat's milk. Are there any other areas that Alnutrin is lacking where I should supplement?

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The website of the manufacturer of Alnutrin is
Knowwhatyoufeed.com
They suggest liver comprise 4-10% of the food
They have a nutrient calculator to help you work it out.

prairiepanda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hearts and gizzards are actually considered muscle meats, from a nutritional standpoint. Organ meat in this case would largely be secreting organs, such as kidneys, brains, and various glands. Most people just use kidneys, since they tend to be the easiest to acquire. Generally the organ mix is half liver, half other organs.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't order the organ mix because they all include hearts, which as prairiepanda noted, are considered muscle meat (plus the chicken organ mix has gizzards). I wish they wouldn't do that. Makes it almost impossible to get the right ratios of organs.

I would order a variety of the separately packaged liver and other secreting organs. If you think about your mix in 20 ounce multiples, it's easy to calculate a balance per pound of boneless meat: 1 lb (16oz) of ground muscle meat (80%), 2 ounces of bones (10%) and 1 ounce each liver and other organ (5% each).

Using Alnutrin with eggshell, you won't have the 10% bone, but you will still want to add 1 ounce each liver and other organ per pound of boneless meat.