Add kittens to nursing mother? 3 kittens, 4 nipples

Darcy100

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was able to grab friendly community stray cat Underfoot after she looked very pregnant for the second time this season. Four nipples developed, she had 3 kittens, eyes are still closed.
I'm now on a Facebook group for rescuing cats in my city. Every few days, someone posts about finding 1 or 2 kittens that are separated from mama and still need to breast-feed, and can someone with a nursing mama cat take them? Last post was for two kittens that might have been one day old.
1) Is it safe for Underfoot's kittens if I bring in kittens that have not been quarantined? Her kittens are not showing any signs of disease.
2) Will the average nursing mama be willing to add two more kittens around the same age as hers, even if her own babies are still young and there are not enough nipples for all to nurse at the same time? Am I making an assumption here?
3) If she started nursing more, would some of the other nipples get ready for duty?
(I transported another friendly stray pregnant cat to a foster parent. Lucky to get a photograph that showed 6 nipples ready for duty. Wrong. Later photo showed seven furry little butts nursing at once. Don't know about an eighth nipple. Maybe her body tells her nipples how many fetuses can be born, so nipples get ready for number of fetuses plus one?)
For the record, an unvaxxed unspayed pet also violates my apartment lease, but I can show that mama and kittens all have an appointment to get "all the fixings" at animal control when kittens are 8 weeks old. Photos are of Underfoot.

Attachments

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly it is a risk of health issues if you bring in a new kitten and I would never bring in a kitten that is smaller than the current kittens as they will just get pushed off the milk bar. Some cats won't take new kittens either. A lot of people don't get that outdoor cats who have babies can be away from the babies for quite awhile. She does need to go and hunt after all to eat so her babies can eat. Sometimes sick kittens will get abandoned to. It's very common for moms to just abandon kittens they don't think will make it due to health reasons and even with intervention most times still don't make it.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you for bringing mama kitty inside and for your plans to spay her and her kittens so none of them go through this again or are homeless.

When were her kittens born?

I do agree it can be risky and complicate matters to bring in other kittens.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I was able to grab friendly community stray cat Underfoot after she looked very pregnant for the second time this season. Four nipples developed, she had 3 kittens, eyes are still closed.
I'm now on a Facebook group for rescuing cats in my city. Every few days, someone posts about finding 1 or 2 kittens that are separated from mama and still need to breast-feed, and can someone with a nursing mama cat take them? Last post was for two kittens that might have been one day old.
1) Is it safe for Underfoot's kittens if I bring in kittens that have not been quarantined? Her kittens are not showing any signs of disease.
2) Will the average nursing mama be willing to add two more kittens around the same age as hers, even if her own babies are still young and there are not enough nipples for all to nurse at the same time? Am I making an assumption here?
3) If she started nursing more, would some of the other nipples get ready for duty?
(I transported another friendly stray pregnant cat to a foster parent. Lucky to get a photograph that showed 6 nipples ready for duty. Wrong. Later photo showed seven furry little butts nursing at once. Don't know about an eighth nipple. Maybe her body tells her nipples how many fetuses can be born, so nipples get ready for number of fetuses plus one?)
For the record, an unvaxxed unspayed pet also violates my apartment lease, but I can show that mama and kittens all have an appointment to get "all the fixings" at animal control when kittens are 8 weeks old. Photos are of Underfoot.
Its a calculated risk. Its risky and complicating matters, but what to do?

Succesful homeless have usually their immune system high above average. Not because lotsa of fresh air is healthy, but because these weak ones perish soon enough... So its only survivors, these with strong immune systems, whom become succesfull semiferales...
And of course, their milk does contains some extra immunizing agents too.

And re just 4 working nipples.
If necessary, you can always have some rotating system. 3 on, 2 off; and swich them after one hour.
This is a common trick with big litters, or if the kittens present are fight much with each other.

So, its not our highest recommendation you add foster kittens to your batch, but if the circumstances and your heart tells you its necessary, it should be doable. If the new kittens seems healthy, ie as you know, momma and siblings didnt died of some horrible contagious disease.

Momma cat usually do accept new protegees. Why, if you see youtube clips, cat mommas often taken in orphaned squirrells or other small animals into her batch.
Its standard to try to rub the smell of her kittens, or herself on the new protegée, but its really not stricktly necessary

Ps. Im not saying the same about a typical home family girls. As her immune system isnt the same fire prooven. So here I wouldnt take the risk.
And thus, many rescuers do handraise found orphan kittens, even if they DO have a nursing momma accessible...

Last edited: