Ad links?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are ad links showing up in the body of the posts. This has never happened before on this forum. Did the management sell ad linking rights to someone, or did my computer catch a bug? If it is a virus, or spyware or whatever, how do I get rid of it?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

There are ad links showing up in the body of the posts. This has never happened before on this forum. Did the management sell ad linking rights to someone, or did my computer catch a bug? If it is a virus, or spyware or whatever, how do I get rid of it?
So far as I know it's a feature of this forum. Many sites are starting to do that.

I don't see advertisements because my browser, as a security measure, blocks all advertisements to all sites that I go to unless I give it specific permission to allow them to be seen. Which I typically don't because I'm OCD about my computer and about what gets added to my cookies.

I once had some malicious malware deposited on my computer (don't know where I got it) and I didn't know about it until my ISP turned off my email privileges and told me that my computer was sending out thousands of emails. It wasn't a virus, or a trojan, it was adware, but a malicious kind. One going over with an adware cleaner and my computer was fine and my email privileges were reinstated after I proved to my ISP that my computer was no longer a threat. So now I take no chances.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

So far as I know it's a feature of this forum. Many sites are starting to do that.

I don't see advertisements because my browser, as a security measure, blocks all advertisements to all sites that I go to unless I give it specific permission to allow them to be seen. Which I typically don't because I'm OCD about my computer and about what gets added to my cookies.

I once had some malicious malware deposited on my computer (don't know where I got it) and I didn't know about it until my ISP turned off my email privileges and told me that my computer was sending out thousands of emails. It wasn't a virus, or a trojan, it was adware, but a malicious kind. One going over with an adware cleaner and my computer was fine and my email privileges were reinstated after I proved to my ISP that my computer was no longer a threat. So now I take no chances.
Natalie, how do you get your computer to block all advertisements.

kittymeowmeow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I use Firefox with Adblock, NoScript, and Flashblock to control what ads and content show up when I surf the net. As with Natalie_ca, I see no ads because of all this.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i don't see any ads because, as a paid subscriber, i have the option of turning them off!

kittymeowmeow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

i don't see any ads because, as a paid subscriber, i have the option of turning them off!
Good point, Laureen. It is always the best idea that if you like a site, visit often, to become premium if they offer such an ability. This is a free website and, I'm assuming they use the ads to help with keeping this available to us freeloaders. =)

I only mentioned the AdBlock and all of that as one of my security measures. (Anyone remember when MySpace's ads were hijacked and had malicious coding? >.<)

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ad links have always shown up between posts in threads here. I think subscribing members do not see them.

I recently installed firefox's adblocker and it's heaven sent.

Now all I see is "premium members can turn off these ads, click here to become a premium member"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know that when you're not signed in, the ads show up in between posts. I mean there were words IN THE POSTS that were underlined, and when I ran the cursor over them, ads would pop up. Now it's gone, oddly. I have no idea what happened. I didn't do anything different.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Willowy

I know that when you're not signed in, the ads show up in between posts. I mean there were words IN THE POSTS that were underlined, and when I ran the cursor over them, ads would pop up. Now it's gone, oddly. I have no idea what happened. I didn't do anything different.
Oh. Oh yeah I've seen those, in another forum, which is also full of other random pop ups until I was driven insane, in spite of my pop up blocker that comes with my firewall and antivirus protection.

That's why I finally got the adblocker. Now that you mention it, with the adblocker, I don't see those highlighted words that turn into pop ups anymore in that other forum either. hurray for that.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only ads I see are at the top of the blank window to post in. Like right now, I see one for Fresh Step litter, but you have to click on it to see if the kitty can find the litter box. I don't see any pop ups or ads showing up in the posts.