Active Fading Kitten 9*15*2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDepthsAndSkies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am an active fosterer for my local humane society and last Thursday brought home 4 kittens aged approx 10-14 days. Eyes were just opening, momma had been hit by a car that same day.

I have an active nursing queen who DID NOT accept this litter, despite accepting 2 previous orphans a few weeks ago. (Rescues are 5 weeks and healthy, original.litter is 7 weeks and healthy).

We have been exclusively bottle feeding for 4 days and about 12 hours ago noticed a kitten fading. We wrapped + warmed and have been droppering the Goats Milk formula provided by our humane association.

Approximately 4 hours ago he briefly dropped into agonal breathing and we thought we'd lost him, but have revived and kept him hydrated and urinating since that event.

He is being force fed then given 30 minutes of rest and repeat.

Humane society will NOT give us permission for vet treatment, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TheDepthsAndSkies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is the advice we were given (verbatim ) from our humane association's On-Call CVT via text messaging...

"Usually with kittens it's as "simple" as eating and not eating. If you can get him to eat, he'll be okay. If he won't eat he won't make it and there is no magic or vet intervention that can help, he just has to eat (and unfortunately they never understand the importance of their choices!!). I would recommend letting him sleep for at least 30 minutes at a time, between dropping milk on his tongue and offering a nice warm bottle. And see where a little rest and small feedings gets him!"

TheDepthsAndSkies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Advice no longer necessary. Kitten stopped responding to stimuli, cant even feed via dropper. We (my mom and I) realized he is unaware of his surroundings and we are taking turns holding him in his swaddling and saying goodbye.

Im sorry if there was any chance, but I can't see one. We tried. We love him and want him to be at peace.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is the advice we were given (verbatim ) from our humane association's On-Call CVT via text messaging...

"Usually with kittens it's as "simple" as eating and not eating. If you can get him to eat, he'll be okay. If he won't eat he won't make it and there is no magic or vet intervention that can help, he just has to eat (and unfortunately they never understand the importance of their choices!!). I would recommend letting him sleep for at least 30 minutes at a time, between dropping milk on his tongue and offering a nice warm bottle. And see where a little rest and small feedings gets him!"
Usually, but not always. If they are just reluctant so yes. The exception is when they are dying. Because the intestines and digestion system is shuting down. So feeding goats milk or kmr becomes antiproductive, the food just rottens inside. [we see dying or dead kittens often flow white fluid from mouth and end part, even if they had their last feeding several hours ago.]

The trick is to give them instead pedialyte, containing glucose sugar.
Bought or homemade with say honey. Glucose sugar doesnt need digesting, it goes straight into the blood already in mouth and in all internal intestines.

Glucose sugar is no proper food, but they can survive on this a couple of days. So it doesnt hurt much even if the diagnosis was false, and they werent dying at all.

Completed with warming up (kangaroo method is good), massage, singing, letting rest inbetween, and praying.

This is of course the last line of defence, the last stand. But it may buy the time for healing processes to come in and work...

Of course, if the kitten is dying so its dying. Nothing much to do save comforting and praying for its soul.

HERE it sounds as the kitten was dying for real...

Im sorry.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
ps. Im aware this my answer comes way too late for this kitten here. The kitten was going downhill too fast for any realistic hope.

But I wanted the answer to be visble, for others to see. Or if TheDepthsAndSkies TheDepthsAndSkies ever fosters other, weak kittens. Which I hope shehe does.

We do have many visitors, and people google years afterwards too.
This tread will be found years afterwards.

TheDepthsAndSkies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Stephan, amazingly, we have been waiting for him to take his last breath for 7 hours. We said goodbye and promised to hold him until it was over, but withheld food.

I fell asleep 4 hours ago and my mom has been rocking and talking to him.. About 45 minutes ago he opened his eyes and mewwed, totally unexpectedly, and she woke me up. We immediately put formula in him and he had a sucking reflex! Theres fresh poop and a wet spot in his swaddling.

I know that 7 hours without a meal is incredible. I have no idea what will happen in the next 5 minutes, but maybe our shelter will take action now!

Of course, it is still Sunday morning in the usa and Im very rural

P.s. I don't want to give false hope to any other rehabilitators, but I swear he had agonal breathing and an irregular heartbeat. We could literally SMELL the physiologic difference as he off-gassed CO2. To show any improvement is simply astonishing, but we both saw it.

TheDepthsAndSkies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all of your support, Stefan. He is still with us, the shelter a/spiked a bag of lactated ringers and we were able to give 25ml of fluids.We did get a little poop and struggling when he was surprised by the needle poke. His eyes and face are significantly less glazed/ gaunt.

I am giving 1ml droppers of formula and sugar water. The sugar really seems easier to administer, since the glucose is absorbed straight from his gums.

TheDepthsAndSkies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have to go to work soon, the SubQ fluids that we gave made his eyes glossier /face less gaunt. My mom is an angel and will keep doing this treatment if there is a chance for improvement, but all websites about FKS discuss the mortality WITHOUT a time range.

How long do we keep attempting this? He's no better and no worse. When, if ever will there be a point of futility?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, its a question and a dilemma. The longer without real improvement, the smaller chances. Esp with this small kittens. The chances better with long term comatose adults.

I say, as long he isnt suffering, proceed to try and fight, giving also love and prayers...

Had you named him yet? it may be its this he is waiting for... Or something else.

(Yes, Im a mystic in some situations).

TheDepthsAndSkies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you to everyone who shared their well wishes out loud or privately. We ultimately received permission for euthanasia from our shelter organization.

Little White briefly perked up on Sunday, choosing a cozy spot, purring, and cleaning his face/paws. Unfortunately, shortly after this he developed breathing problems and was in obvious pain. I wish he would have been able to sleep his way to eternity, but that was not the case. After a few frantic calls, we brought him to the vet clinic that I used to work at and kept him company through the end.

I have spent today showering love and affection on his 3 siblings, who unfortunately had been emotionally ignored during our crisis. They're all thriving, showing weight gain and begining to play with each other/toys.

Although I am saddened by his passing, Little White has only strengthened my resolve to give every precious kitten life a chance to prosper; while trying always to choose quality of life over quantity.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry he didn't make it TheDepthsAndSkies TheDepthsAndSkies

It sounds as if you took the best care of him that anyone possibly could. I'm sure it was a comfort to him to pass knowing that he was loved.

We always lock the threads when a cat or kitten passes as a sign of respect. I'll lock this one now.

Rest In Peace Little White.

:angelcat:

Status
Not open for further replies.