Activated Charcoal Dosage?

FreedomKitty17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Help! 5 week old kitten found a prescription capsule that must have dropped. Kitten weighs 12 oz. The pill was Dilantin (seizure medicine). He didn't invest the entire thing but there are teeth marks on it and the capsule was broken so I have to assume he probably ingested at least some of the powder. Honestly probably a very small amount but since the prescription is 100 mg and because he is so tiny, I would rather err on side of caution. He seems to be acting normal except for some slight head tremors we just noticed. Wanted to give him a little activated charcoal but couldn't find the dosage. Can check in with vet tomorrow but don't want to wait to treat if it may possibly help. Can anyone help with dosage? I have capsules that say 560mg capsules of activated charcoal. Any help appreciated. Thanks so much!

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FreedomKitty17 FreedomKitty17 - First off, in cats, dosages as high as 2mg per kg of body weight can be tolerated in emergency situations, and the repetition may be made as much as three times, according to MVM.

Secondly, Pyridoxine (i.e. Vitamin B6) is the "antidote" for overdoses, since it decreases the levels of phenytoin in the bloodstream quickly.

Thirdly, if your kitten isn't stumbling, vomiting, or suffering from a clearly varied heartbeat, chances are good that there wasn't sufficient ingestion to cause a reaction. I'd simply observe and monitor for the time being, but by and large, phenytoin titrates rather rapidly, and if the kitten were in serious trouble, you'd know it in relatively short order.

Caveat: this should not be considered medical advice; when medical advice is required, always consult your veterinarian.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FreedomKitty17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for replying. Since he weighs .31 kg, he would only be able to have about half of 1 mg then right? Since the capsules are 260 mg each I don't know how I would possibly be able to get that small of an amount without overdosing. Should I just dissolve it and give him a drop? Or...? Thanks again so much!!

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't give activated charcoal. "First off, in cats, dosages as high as 2mg per kg of body weight can be tolerated in emergency situations, and the repetition may be made as much as three times, according to MVM..." references Dilantin.

If he has no symptoms, again, I'd simply monitor him. Chances are that you'd know by this point.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FreedomKitty17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I have been monitoring him, and His head has been wobbling quite a bit. He is walking normally, but the head wobbling is not at all normal. Again, I really appreciate your quick replies! :)

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as I'm aware, activated charcoal (Toxiban) won't do any harm in cats, but I'd ask a veterinarian regarding dosage.

If his "head wobble" is inconsistent with his regular physical presentation, I'd waste no time in seeing an emergency vet.