Acting scared of people and other cats NOT LIKE HER!

olivegoesmoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a Kitten I nursed back to health when she was 4 days old or around there and she is now about 5 months old.  She has never had problem with socializing with human or other cats. But she has decided that people are bad and other cats are also bad. She is fine when it is just me. But she first flipped out when my aunt came in my room to wake me up. She usally gets right up and runs out to the living room to see everyone and play. Even when my Grandma was by the door she was hissing. we left the door open in case she might want to act normal and play but she stayed in her corner all day yesterday and today . what should i do?

i do not know what happened up there ):

Thank you<3

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Any unusual change in behavior like this warrants a trip to the vet to rule out any health problems.  That's where I would start.

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to agree with stephanietx's advice.

I would also think long and hard to try to figure out what could've triggered this. We can't be with our babies 24/7, so something could very well have happened that you're not aware of.

If the vet finds nothing wrong neurologically it would be a good idea to put her in a "sanctuary room" for a while with everything she needs (food, water, litter box, toys) and make absolutely sure nobody can enter that room when you're not present. Then after a while you could think about trying a slow, careful reintroduction.

(In a sanctuary room no loud noises of any kind - including loud music or tv -  and no harsh lights are essential. It would also be essential for you to spend as much time with her as you possibly can.) 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

olivegoesmoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
she is alone right now but i feel bad shes meowing. and since im in home schooling im with her all day she even goes to resturts with me i just dont waant her to think i dont love her .

violet

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She won't think you don't love her, believe me.

The goal of keeping her in her sanctuary room is to prevent visual contact with whoever, whatever scared her and caused her to behave this way. Hopefully, two or three days will be enough for her to calm down and forget whatever happened. Not having visual contact with other people and kitties is one of the most important things, especially since you don't know what had caused her to start acting the way she did.

At her age you can safely rule out some very serious neurological problems that can cause sudden, drastic changes in behavior. So I'm really hoping that keeping her quiet and isolated for a couple of days will help her get back to normal. Still, if you have a good vet you can trust,please do check with him or her. There can always be something you need to know about that we're not thinking of.