acrylics

tigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wondering how many of you get your nails done (tips, etc) and what do you pay for a fill, polish? How often do you go?
I got my nails done last month and have gone twice so far .. I go every three weeks, and for a fill & design I pay $20.00 Not sure if that is good or not, but I am going to guess it is?
I know though that when you hit a nail with acrylics, it hurts worse than hitting your natural nail. Its almost tortureous, lol. Thankfully, I have never ripped one off yet.

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to go in like every two weeks to get my acryllic nails filled... everytime I would go in for them, I'd get fed up after a month of two. I always think the refill looks bad, that the color looks off. And getting them put on to begin with hurts... and when you get them taken off your nails are sooo weak... ow!

As for prices, it sounds about right. Anything less and I think I would be worried.

Now for a regular manicure, I have an appointment at a salon on Wednesday, it's $22 and it includes a hand and arm massage.
I'm so proud, I've been taking extra special care of my hands lately and now my nails are growing and looking good. If you can, you should try to get off of the acrylics and try to grow out your natural nails, acryllic nails really aren't that good for you. Done lecturing now!

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I ued to pay $20 for a full set and $12 for a fill every 2 weeks, But I have left them off for about 6 mos now and my nails still look like crap, I think it does do damage to your own nails and nail bed

ash_bct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ACRYLICS ARE TERRIBLE FOR YOUR NAILS!

If you really want your nails done, get a manicure like Ari, or go for gels.

Gels are MUCH less harsh on your natural nails and (here at least) don't cost nearly as much.

With acrylics most of your natural nail is filed off, thats why they hurt and look so bad when you take them off!

Go for gels~
Find someone who does it by hand, not with a circular file. It will take about 2 hours the first time, and then about 1 hour for fills. Gels should NEVER hurt!
Also the color blends much nicer with gels since most of it is taken off and reapplied during fills. Tips aren't applied, your natural nail is used. So it will take a while for them to grow, because they are your own nails.

My aunt is a nail tech so I have learned from her

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to get them done in australia,
It costed me $50 AUD to get them put on and then $30 AUD every 2 - 3 weeks to refill them, my mum got fed up and didnt give me the money to get them done anymore as they were expensive.. for a 15 yr old

It took two years with my own care to repair my nails, here it only 4 euros for a manicure to fix up your nails so i might go in some time!
They really hurt your nails to come off, but then again i was kind of used to it since i used superglue with fake nails!
I'm not going to have acrylics done ever again, although they are very pretty its not worth the pain.

mistys mum

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have got the worst hands and nails in the world , I bite my nails yuck and my hands are dry and look much older than I think they should. I have tryed to look after them with creams and nail hardner and what not but there just bad. The prices here in Orange for acrylics are $70 for full set, french $ 75, clear Powder gel tips are $35. Half leg wax is $25 and a eye lash perm ( what the ) is $40. I just happen to have a price list for one of the salons come in the junk mail today. You can also be waxed (private) in the shape of a love heart and others for $45 if you want. ohh, no not for me.

jazzy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I cleaned an color my own nails ecery two weeks. I am not gonna pay somebody to do it for me.

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know we all want our nails to look pretty, but no way could I have that done.

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've worn acrylics before, for a couple of special occasions, I do too much work with my hands to leave them on all the time. The last set I got was $50, fills were $25.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am a nail tech and makeup artist in my spare time and I have to say that acrylic nails are really not very good for you. Not only because a lot of your natural nail is buffed away, but because the acrylic etc makes it hard for your nail to `breathe'.

Having said that, if they are well taken care of you can have them on for a long time without too much damage to your natural nail. Acrylics do not damage the matrix of the nail (where it grows from) but they can hurt like hell if you snap one. Back in the old days, they used to be made from porcelain, but as a result they had no flexibility. If you caught a nail on something you were very likely to break your finger!!

If you want to maintain nice-looking acrylics you need them filled every two weeks, and you need to buff and maintain them in between that. Not have them too long and make sure you massage your hands and fingers (especially cuticles and matrix) every day with cream. It can be expensive but it does result in lovely looking fingernails!!

I would go with a new product called polycrylic nails which I am currently negotiating to distribute in Australia. They are very natural and don't `bond' with the nail surface so you are not doing your nails any lasting damage. They are called Bella Naturale and you can do a google search to get information.

katspixiedust

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mistys mum

I have got the worst hands and nails in the world , I bite my nails yuck and my hands are dry and look much older than I think they should. I have tryed to look after them with creams and nail hardner and what not but there just bad. The prices here in Orange for acrylics are $70 for full set, french $ 75, clear Powder gel tips are $35. Half leg wax is $25 and a eye lash perm ( what the ) is $40. I just happen to have a price list for one of the salons come in the junk mail today. You can also be waxed (private) in the shape of a love heart and others for $45 if you want. ohh, no not for me.
You should try finding a salon that does the paraffin wax! Your hands feel AMAZING after that I've always found it to be fun. It only takes a few minutes and is well worth it IMO.

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been getting mine done every 2 weeks for longer than I can remember. I don't have nail tips, but rather my natural nail covered with what I guess is an acrylic gel? (
)

My nail tech files by hand and doesn't allow anyone in the salon to use the drill on nails. I usually have a fill every 2 weeks, for $25. Last fall, due to my schedule being overly busy, I had her remove everything from my nails because I just couldn't keep the appointments. This was after more than 5 years I am guessing, and my nails underneath were fine. I will say that I think it has alot to do with your natural nails to begin with. My nail tech often tells me that I am her favorite client because my nails never peel, and the acrylic never lifts. I do have pretty strong natural nails, though.

As for the cost....there are a lot of things I won't pay for, but my nails and hair are 2 things I treat myself on.

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katspixiedust

You should try finding a salon that does the paraffin wax! Your hands feel AMAZING after that I've always found it to be fun. It only takes a few minutes and is well worth it IMO.
Oooh! The salon that I'm going to does that... sounds lovely! Maybe I should call and see if I can add that!

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Deb25

I have been getting mine done every 2 weeks for longer than I can remember. I don't have nail tips, but rather my natural nail covered with what I guess is an acrylic gel? (
)

My nail tech files by hand and doesn't allow anyone in the salon to use the drill on nails. I usually have a fill every 2 weeks, for $25. Last fall, due to my schedule being overly busy, I had her remove everything from my nails because I just couldn't keep the appointments. This was after more than 5 years I am guessing, and my nails underneath were fine. I will say that I think it has alot to do with your natural nails to begin with. My nail tech often tells me that I am her favorite client because my nails never peel, and the acrylic never lifts. I do have pretty strong natural nails, though.

As for the cost....there are a lot of things I won't pay for, but my nails and hair are 2 things I treat myself on.
Yeah, you can have acryllic nails without having nail tips.. if you're lucky enough to have long nails! When you removed everything, your nails weren't thin and weak? Whenever I've gotten my nails done, they file away so much of your nail to make the acryllic stick that your nails end up real pathetic. You don't get that done?

katspixiedust

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pinkdaisy226

Oooh! The salon that I'm going to does that... sounds lovely! Maybe I should call and see if I can add that!
Oh my gosh you definitely should! I just had it done when I went to the day spa last week and I loved it. You dip your hand in hot (though not painfully hot) wax up to your wrist 3 times, then it gets put in a bag, then a mitt. You sit there for a couple of minutes while the wax cools and then the manicurist just peels it off! Your hands are SO soft afterwards. I just loved it!!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the wax system at home but I never get in the habit of using it. I did my rubber/latex gloves to do the dishes in but other than that I have awful nails. nevr had a manicure or any of that stuff. Also can't get in habit of wearing nail hardener products. Once gardening season starts my hands really take a beating (I have many many pairs of gardening gloves to. I try to put on hand lotion every morning when I get to work. But nice nails are in the cards for me!!

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pinkdaisy226

Yeah, you can have acryllic nails without having nail tips.. if you're lucky enough to have long nails! When you removed everything, your nails weren't thin and weak? Whenever I've gotten my nails done, they file away so much of your nail to make the acryllic stick that your nails end up real pathetic. You don't get that done?
She doesn't file away at my nails at all. I had always heard that your natural nails are thin and weak, but I didn't have that happen. I guess it all depends on who you are going to.