Acrid smelling and very soft stools

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well-I Her liver enzymes are elevated, so he's starting her on 5 mg of the methimazole twice a day.

I really like this vet so I am sticking with them.
Yikes!  That is an extremely high starting dose.

I have not treated a cat for Hyper-T........but.......everything I have read recommends a starting dose of 1.25 - 2.5 mg.

Here's Dr. Mark Peterson, the discoverer of feline Hyper_T on dosing:
Initial Methimazole Dose

The initial methimazole doses used vary depending on the cat’s pretreatment serum T4 value and the size of the thyroid tumor. In general, however, most cats are started on 1.25 mg to 2.5 mg of methimazole, administered twice daily (4-7). This dose is adjusted according to T4 measurements (see below), as well as the cat's clinical response.

In cats that fail to respond and remain hyperthyroid, the daily doses are slowly titrated upwards to lower serum T4 concentrations into the desired range

http://animalendocrine.blogspot.ca/2012/08/how-to-dose-and-monitor-hyperthyroid.html.
Here's one owner speaking about common Vet dosing errors.....and what can result:
Many vets are not up-to-date on the latest protocols for methimazole dosing, unfortunately, and therefore frequently order doses that are much too high to start. This can result in a cat becoming very sick from the side effects, or even worse, become hypothyroid (T4 too low) which will also make them sick and sometimes have adverse effects on the kidneys.  It is, therefore, very important to insist on starting at the low recommended starting dose and increase the dose slowly so that the cat's body becomes acclimated to the medication.
I read your comment about liking this Vet.........so, you may naturally have some difficulty with the info I've given you.

I've sent a PM to someone here who I know has personally dealt with Hyper-T - hopefully she can come by and assist.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jeanmona

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your help.  I too feel its too large a dose,  I think 2.5 would be resonsable.  I am going to call the vet and speak with him before givng the medications to Chloe.

Thanks again,

Mona

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
......I think 2.5 would be resonsable.  I am going to call the vet and speak with him before givng the medications to Chloe.
Well, I can only say that...that's NOT what I'd be advocating for.

There's a preponderance of trustworthy, reliable information which unequivocally recommends starting this drug at the lowest dosing, testing, then adjusting upwards if needed.

Low dose commencement also 'eases' the cat's system 'onto' the med - which can cause serious side effects - starting high often results in adverse reactions.

I'll say no more.

jeanmona

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I appreciate your help, but  what would you advocate for.  I cut the pill in half for her and I am only giving her the pill once a day-until I talk to the vet.  So that is 2.5 each day, which is a reasonable dosage.

She seems to feel better and her stools are now solid.  I changed her to a high protein better food with less grain, and no wheat, soy or corn.

I will keep you posted, and I am saving money so I can get her the radioactive treatment procedure.

Mona

jeanmona

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update on Chloe-

Since starting her on the 2.5 mg of Methimazole twice (the vet said to give twice a day)  a day since Friday she seems to feel better, is eating regularly and I swear she looks not so bony.  I am giving her a good quality canned food (wellness chicken) twice a day and free feeding dry (no corn wheat or soy), a high protein food.  Her stools are formed and no odor to them.  I am feeling quite good about this. 

I am going to call my vet Tuesday, and set up her follow up appointment (for her blood draw for the thyroid).

I called the Radiocat place and the cost is $1,150 for treatment, which I am saving for and considering for her, but I am going to research it first.

We love her so much, and its good to see her being so loving and eating regularly again!!

Mona

Last edited: