accidently stepped on 5 week old tiny kitten

ldanielle091

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Absolutely no way I can take her to the vet, I'm a single mom barley making it. I was bringing in a basket of laundry and I felt something and heard a pop. I immediately shifted my weight and looked to see my tiny kitten flopping on the floor. I picked her up and brought her to the living room, she pooped on me and was flailing around. It's been about two hours now, she's asleep I guess she moves when you touch her but doesn't open her eyes. Idk what to do. Has anyone else ever stepped on their kitten. I feel so bad. Please negative comments.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She likely has internal injuries. She really needs to get to a vet, at least to be put to sleep instead of suffering.

I'm sorry this happened to you.

paiger8

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you can't take her to the vet, could you take her to an animal rescue and surrender her? That's her only shot.

I'm guessing by the pop, you stepped on her head? Unfortunately I'm guessing there's not much of a chance for her then. My grandparents had farm cats and my grandpa stepped on a kitten one day (he had Parkinson's and was not steady on his feet.) The kitten didn't make it. 

Please take her to a rescue if possible. At most they can provide care to save her life, at least they can make her comfortable in death. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldanielle091

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She hasn't bled any and doesn't seem to be bloated or anything. I think its neurologic maybe? I've seen alot of people say their kittens recovered. I'm really hoping she does. Is there anything I can do for her at home? My daughter is going to be devastated

ldanielle091

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I actually think I stepped on her back. I live in a small town with only one vet, that's closed now. There are no other options

LotsOfFur

What greater gift than the love of a cat.
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry... That doesn't sound good at all! There have been quite a few threads on this site where kittens have been accidentally stepped on. The "pop" and "flopping" & "flailing" make me think this is an urgent situation for this poor baby.

My best advice would be to call a local vet and tell them what happened and how the kitten is acting and see if they can offer advice even if it to put the kitten to sleep.

Again, I'm so sorry this happened and can only imagine how you must feel. :hugs:

paiger8

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you can post your state and city, we may be able to find a rescue or animal hospital near you.

ldanielle091

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
40069 Springfield KY. It's gonna be Lebanon and the vets there have already told me they will not work with me without payment first. And I do not have payment. About $25 is all I can come up with. It's like I have no option. I can spend rent money and be homeless with an 18m old.. That's not even a choice. I've done nothing but cried since it happened, I check on her every three minutes. I just don't know what to do I feel like the worst person in the world. And Adelynn is already asking where her nitty tat is. Ugh.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Part of owning a pet is being able to afford at least some rudimentary care. I'm not bashing. Call animal control of understand you have to find a shelter or rescue, one of the posters here may be able to hook you up with one. Wait and see for an inured pet can be construed as animal cruelty. Not the accident of stepping on it. but the lack of care when it's needed.
lets keep this bumped up.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
40069 Springfield KY. It's gonna be Lebanon and the vets there have already told me they will not work with me without payment first. And I do not have payment. About $25 is all I can come up with. It's like I have no option. I can spend rent money and be homeless with an 18m old.. That's not even a choice. I've done nothing but cried since it happened, I check on her every three minutes. I just don't know what to do I feel like the worst person in the world. And Adelynn is already asking where her nitty tat is. Ugh.
Stop. No one here is going to accuse you of hurting the kitten intentionally. Lets focus on getting some help instead.

ldanielle091

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So because I can't keep $300 around extra incase I accidently step on my kitten im a criminal!? Wow I just really need some advice and I don't want to be criticized for being low income.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is nothing you can do for your kitten at home. We are trying to help you to brainstorm alternate ways to get help. Again, I'm so sorry this happened to you, but I really think you need to surrender her to a shelter. She's going to die a painful death otherwise.

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
So because I can't keep $300 around extra incase I accidently step on my kitten im a criminal!? Wow I just really need some advice and I don't want to be criticized for being low income.
I did not call you a criminal. it is something everyone should consider before getting a pet. Are there any rescues listed near you ? It breaks my heart to know what you are going though. I simply pointed out a reality. Is there an animal control agency you can call ? You might try calling your local dispatch number.

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You really need to surrender her, even if she survives she will never have good quality of life. Animal control can put her to sleep so she goes painlessly and quickly.

ldanielle091

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HOPEFUL UPDATE. Kitten is awake and alert. Walking and purring. Hopefully she continues to improve to eating and drinking. She is holding her head to one side tilted kind of and a little wobbly

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise
HOPEFUL UPDATE. Kitten is awake and alert. Walking and purring. Hopefully she continues to improve to eating and drinking. She is holding her head to one side tilted kind of and a little wobbly
Please keep trying to contact a rescue for some help. They can be very resilient at that age.

paiger8

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Washington County Humane Society - Springfield, KY

Marion County Animal Shelter - Lebanon, KY

Nelson County Humane Society - Bardstown, KY

Barkstown Rescue - Boston, KY

All of these are close to you. Please call them and see if they can help this baby. If she's holding her head funny, there's probably brain damage, and fluid build up in the brain putting her off balance. She needs professional care. We're not trying to be mean, we just want what is best for this kitten. 

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She really needs help with a head tilt, that means damage to the brain...we're really not trying to be mean but please take her to a shelter and get help.

bflatblues

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm rather new here but I can attest that no one in here would ever accuse you of cruelty unless you don't attempt to get a little help for your fur baby. Our hearts all hurt for you and also for your poor li'l kitty. If you're thinking you might get into some sort of trouble if you bring her somewhere, that generally does not happen. Also, often times you can make a minimal payment plan if you take the kitty to a vet and explain your predicament. Don't blame yourself for this... but do try and see it through for the sake of this baby kitty. Anything less would truly be difficult to understand. Clearly you loved her enough to take her in... do right by her. You will be repaid many times over. I'm so very sorry this happened to your kitty... accidents do happen and it's hard not to blame ourselves. All the best to you and to your kitten.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bflatblues has given you excellent advice, as has everyone who has posted on this thread.  Please surrender your kitten.  I know you don't want her to suffer so please surrender her.  It's the best thing for her.