Accidentally pinched cat’s tail in door, is it injured??

Kyaviana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel so terrible!! I swung a door closed behind my back without realizing that my cat’s tail was still in the way. The door didn’t close fully and his tail was only pinched for a second, he ran away from the door and swished his tail fine the entire time. It was the last two inches of his tail.

He seems scared of the door now but doesn’t have any other particular negative reactions. I’ve been watching him for an hour and his tail seems to move normally- is it injured? Does he need x-rays?

Thank you 😭

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may be sore for a few days. but as long as he is able to move it or hold it up at all it should be fine. My cat hurt his tail somehow and could only hold up the first few inches at the base, the rest hung limp. He could move it a little so I observed him, it took almost a week for it to heal enough to raise, but it did. He was quieter too. If your little one seems to be in pain, or starts hiding, then take him to the vet.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Are you able to touch the tail at all? Is he holding his tail down low?

If you can't touch it without him howling or seeming like he's in pain, then get his tail x-rayed as soon as possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kyaviana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It may be sore for a few days. but as long as he is able to move it or hold it up at all it should be fine. My cat hurt his tail somehow and could only hold up the first few inches at the base, the rest hung limp. He could move it a little so I observed him, it took almost a week for it to heal enough to raise, but it did. He was quieter too. If your little one seems to be in pain, or starts hiding, then take him to the vet.
Thank you! He seems to be moving it fine, it still curls normally. He’s definitely not hiding, just doing all the usual cat activities but is definitely mad at me- I’ll watch him very carefully for the next week or so 😊

Kyaviana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you able to touch the tail at all? Is he holding his tail down low?

If you can't touch it without him howling or seeming like he's in pain, then get his tail x-rayed as soon as possible.
I’ve stroked his tail quite a few times without much reaction from him. After the third-ish pass he moved away from me but I’m not sure if it’s pain or if it’s because he’s not a cat that’s particularly fond of pets in general. His tail isn’t hanging, he seems to be holding it at a middle-ish height as he walks.

Thank you 🙂

Kyaviana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ve been feeling his tail carefully and I think it is a bit swollen where the door caught it but I don’t see any blood or hair loss/skin abrasions on the tail. Should I be concerned about the swelling? Is it just a bruise?

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To me it sounds as though nothing serious has happened. Keep your eye on him, but, if he's acting as usual, able to move his tail, isn't constantly licking the bruise, he's okay. I once came home one evening, the house was in darkness, the whole family was sitting in silence watching the kitten, whose tail had been caught in a sliding door! The kitten was none the worse for his experience and my daughters learnt to be a bit more careful with doors!
I hope things go well for you and your kitty.