accidentally hurt my cat, now she scratches and hisses at me

karagraaf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I went to shut our sliding glass door a few weeks ago and I didn't notice that my cat ran up to the door and I shut it on her head. It was pretty hard because the door is heavy and I have to really push hard. She an off, very scared. Of course I felt awful and comforted her. She doesn't hate me ( she is laying on me right now in fact) but I think I have scarred her because every time I shut a door with her nearby or any time I walk too close to her, she swipes at my legs (and it hurts!) and hisses. She never did that until I hurt her :( I know she doesn't hate me, she is still lovey to me but I guess she doesn't fully trust me now only when I am walking around close her. I feel so bad but I'm also slightly scared she will really hurt me. I actually avoid her or almost run away when she is at my feet (she'll walk up around my feet to beg for food and then swipe at me because I am walking around and she is almost tripping me up, so I end up practically running away from her because I'm scared-I'm sure it's quite a sight!

Is there ANY way to gain her trust when I'm walking or keep her from hurting me? It's been a few weeks since the incident, I was hoping with time she would forget:/ like I said, she is lovey and for a non cuddly cat, she even cuddles with me sometimes. She isn't afraid of me, it's just when I am shutting a door or she is at my feet (which seems to be often)

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have two suggestions to cope with your immediate problem.  The first is to clip her claws, which you should do on a regular basis in any case.  Then if she does swat your legs, it will not do any damage.  Second, if she is tripping you and being annoying (I have one who does this when hungry and will actually nip at me if I try to ignore her) carry a closed but loose umbrella around with you and swish it at her or tap it on the floor beside you.  This seems strange, I know, but I have found it very effective with my annoying (part Bengal) girl to make her move away, and she no longer nips me if I'm not fast enough producing her dinner.  Remember you are supposed to be the Alpha Cat. not her!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

karagraaf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the response. I will try it- it's got to work better than me running away! I do trim claws but not as often as I should- only like once a month I'll try to do it more. She does do it more when hungry I have noticed., problem is that she is always hungry!

mycatwasthebest

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
if she is acting strangely in any other ways you might want to make sure she is physically ok

signed-

voice of experience