Accidentally clipped skin with scissors

beliboo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was trying to remove a mat from my cat's armpit area yesterday and accidentally cut the skin. I feel awful and know that I should have used the clippers to shave instead of using scissors :(

It looked bad at first but only bled a tiny bit and the skin seemed to close up pretty quickly. I've been rinsing with saline solution 2-3 times a day.

Do cats need to be taken to the vet for cuts or will it heal on their own?

Attachments

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It CAN heal on it's own if it's not too bad. I would say to keep a close on it to make sure it doesn't get infected. Washing with the saline solution is good, if he is tolerating it ok, or you can use Vetricyn to clean it, or soap and water if rinsed well. AND, you can put neosporin on it as long as it doesn't contain any pain reliever in it. Just plan neosporin.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

beliboo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It CAN heal on it's own if it's not too bad. I would say to keep a close on it to make sure it doesn't get infected. Washing with the saline solution is good, if he is tolerating it ok, or you can use Vetricyn to clean it, or soap and water if rinsed well. AND, you can put neosporin on it as long as it doesn't contain any pain reliever in it. Just plan neosporin.
Thank you, I've been rinsing with saline and also purchased Microcyn to spray on the cut which is similar to Vetricyn.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you ever need to remove mats in the future, use blunt tipped scissors and point the tip away from the skin. Daily combing will prevent most mats from occurring. There are combs for long haired cats that work well.