Accidentally Adopting A Cat

Jojo1988

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
So me and my boyfriend have recently moved into a new house. When we viewed the house there was a tiny kitten asking to be fussed, so unable to avoid the cuteness we made a fuss of her. There were some children around and one pointed out that the cat was theirs and her name was smudge.
We thought nothing of it after the viewing and made our preparations to move in. Roll on moving in day, we open the door and 'meow' in runs this tiny kitten. So we stop and give her a fuss, putting her out after. During our unpacking we here cat crying and it continues so we let her in. She runs to the kitchen. Feeling sorry, and slightly manipulated, we give her some chicken which she devours quickly. Long story short she now spends every day here, she goes out and knows when we are coming home. We have never seen the child who claimed that she was theres or seen her go to any other houses. Her name is definitely smudge as she responds to it We noticed fairly early on that she has a large lump on her stomach. We thought we'd give her a few months and see if she moved on but she hasn't. What should we do?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like she needs to see a vet for a health check.

She has clearly adopted you. No one seems to be looking for her. It sounds like you have a cat now!

How old is she? She'll need spaying so that she does not get pregnant, if she is not already.

Can you post a picture of her, and another of the lump?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If it's been months, I'd say she's claimed you and your boyfriend as her family. Congrats on your new house. And your new kitty. :catrub: And remember, they say "a house is not a home without a cat". :catman:

Smudge is beautiful. Hopefully the lump on her stomach is nothing serious. Best get it checked out by a vet to get a professional diagnosis.

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Congrats on your new home and your welcoming guest. Any signs of an incision at that lump or a ink mark? She's a very pretty kitty :hyper::lolup::yess:

Last edited:

KatKnapper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
With this kitty purring and moving his/herself into their new home, and the fact they are probably still getting themselves in and settled, this vet visit may be on their list but not at the top (nor would it be on mine), especially being on an extended holiday weekend.

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello,
So me and my boyfriend have recently moved into a new house. When we viewed the house there was a tiny kitten asking to be fussed, so unable to avoid the cuteness we made a fuss of her. There were some children around and one pointed out that the cat was theirs and her name was smudge.
We thought nothing of it after the viewing and made our preparations to move in. Roll on moving in day, we open the door and 'meow' in runs this tiny kitten. So we stop and give her a fuss, putting her out after. During our unpacking we here cat crying and it continues so we let her in. She runs to the kitchen. Feeling sorry, and slightly manipulated, we give her some chicken which she devours quickly. Long story short she now spends every day here, she goes out and knows when we are coming home. We have never seen the child who claimed that she was theres or seen her go to any other houses. Her name is definitely smudge as she responds to it We noticed fairly early on that she has a large lump on her stomach. We thought we'd give her a few months and see if she moved on but she hasn't. What should we do?
Join the app Nextdoor and post her. It is people that live around you. Do not let her outside.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello Jojo1988 Jojo1988 and welcome you, your BF and SMUDGE to TCS! *PRAYERS* for her to be well and healthy, and to get her checkup, innoculations and spay very, very soon. Hoping you will keep her indoors-only for her safety and health and your peace of mind. She is beautiful. Please keep us updated on how she is doing.