Acceptable medium-price canned cat foods?

Which of these canned cat foods is a good brand?

• Avoderm

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chicken Soup

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Evanger's

• Evolve

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Fancy Feast

• Friskies

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • Hill's Science Diet

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Iams

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Natural Balance

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Nutro Max

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Redbarn Naturals

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Sheba

• Triumph

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • All of these are awful

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

juliacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Having eliminated Iams because it's manufactured in the same plant as Grreat Choice so why am I paying twice as much money
, I am okay with Friskies as long as I can find the flavors that don't contain nitrites. I will probably also rotate in some Nutro Max, and I may look into obtaining some of the big cans of the Innova lower fat, which Petsmart seems to have stopped carrying.

Anyone else feed their cat canned food at less than 19 cents per ounce?

2bcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just be careful when comparing price per ounce.  If the foods are very similar that might be fine, but among the wider range of foods the amount of calories per ounce can vary a lot.  So you may want to compare prices by calories as in the end the critical number in figuring out how much to feed is calories not ounces.  Maybe in most cases among the likely food candidates it won't make a difference in whether you would or wouldn't choose a given food, but I thought it was worth noting.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

juliacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Just be careful when comparing price per ounce.  If the foods are very similar that might be fine, but among the wider range of foods the amount of calories per ounce can vary a lot.  So you may want to compare prices by calories as in the end the critical number in figuring out how much to feed is calories not ounces.  Maybe in most cases among the likely food candidates it won't make a difference in whether you would or wouldn't choose a given food, but I thought it was worth noting.
True; good point!