Abyssinian Mix? Or???

SnarkyMommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! My first post here. My boyfriend and I just recently adopted a new kitty, Kyle. He's 2 years old and 6 lbs. He looks to be about a lb underweight and he has the tiniest paws. What do you think he might be? Green eyes! :)

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cat appears to be a lovely blue tabby domestic shorthair, with a broken mackerel tabby pattern (some stripes and some spots). He doesn't have the typical Abyssinian pattern (ticked tabby without stripes or spots).

It is difficult to say if his slender build indicates ancestry from any particular breed or if he is just underweight. If he inherited his body style from a distant purebred ancestor, Abyssinian is one breed with a relatively slender body style and large ears; however, that type of body style is more likely to have been inherited from Siamese or Oriental-type ancestors, since those have been popular as pets for much longer than Abyssinian cats, and their genes are more widely distributed through the domestic cat gene pool.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SnarkyMommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your cat appears to be a lovely blue tabby domestic shorthair, with a broken mackerel tabby pattern (some stripes and some spots). He doesn't have the typical Abyssinian pattern (ticked tabby without stripes or spots).

It is difficult to say if his slender build indicates ancestry from any particular breed or if he is just underweight. If he inherited his body style from a distant purebred ancestor, Abyssinian is one breed with a relatively slender body style and large ears; however, that type of body style is more likely to have been inherited from Siamese or Oriental-type ancestors, since those have been popular for much longer than Abyssinian cats, and their genes are more widely distributed through the domestic cat gene pool.
The general descriptions match his eyes, ears, and slender legs. His personality is also spot on. His over all coloring is light on his stomach, but darker on top which is similar. Everything looks like an Abyssinian except that he has those faint stripes on his hair. I'll try to get better pictures of his fur tonight. Thank you for the feedback!! <3

SnarkyMommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
His fur also seems to be a bit more fluffy compared to the photos of Abyssinians I've seen. That's what makes me think he's a tabby mix. :)

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All blue tabbies are light on the belly and darker on the back. Your cat's coloring is normal for a blue broken mackerel tabby.

SnarkyMommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When I google that, I'm not finding anything that looks like my rescue. Oh well.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
His fur also seems to be a bit more fluffy compared to the photos of Abyssinians I've seen. That's what makes me think he's a tabby mix. :)
Tabby is not a breed, just a coat pattern, just to clear that up. He doesn't really look like a Aby, more oriental with that blue tabby pattern. He is cute though.