abuse and neglect

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shannon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I personally think that having animals around children is ok. When you have pets that are well adjusted to a variety of people they tend to take a special liking to the little ones. Speaking from experience, when the animal is given the chance to get to know the baby, the bond can be strong enough that the pet, whether it purr or bark, will protect the child as if it were there own. When my baby is born sometime this november I plan to let my furry kids get to know the baby rather than punish them for getting near the crib.

nena10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There was a story in the news about a dog who died because as he grew, the collar he had on was too tight and it choked him. The animal rights are trying to convict the owners of animal abuse. I totally agree. They should have known that a collar may be too small when the dog starts to grow.

nena10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to mention that I don't think the owners of the dog should be convicted of animal abuse. Maybe neglect or some other thing. But isn't animal abuse when someone intentionally does harm to an animal such as beating, not feeding it, or mistreating it in any other way. They should just charge the owners with neglect, because even though he looked healthy, it did show where the collar was too tight. What do you guys think? Maybe the owners should get adivce in how a collar can be too tight.

airprincess

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think the owners should never ever be allowed to have another pet. if they can't figure out that their dog can't breathe, well, they shouldn't have animals.

I only hope they don't have any childern.

threeleggedkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nen10; I hate to admit it, but this happened with our Malamute (Charley, Me Boy) when he was a puppy.
Thank God we caught it in time. We had put a nylon collar on him as a pup of about 2 months old; he grew faster than we realized and the collar cut into his neck like a piece of nylon fishing cord would cut thru butter!!! My niece found him in the yard one evening when he was, I would say, about 6 months old; and his neck was raw and bleeding. We rushed him to an all nite vet emergency clinic. They had to cut the collar off, shave his neck and give him 7 stiches to repair the damage!! I felt so guilty. From then on I never use collars, only harnesses, and never, never the nylon ones. The vet also told us of dogs who get caught in brush or fences with collars on who, literally; hang themselves. . . . .
If you must use collars with cats or dogs make sure they are the break-away ones, please! Like I said before, I felt so very guilty about Charley's collar. Thank God we found out in time. He is still with us and a very active, healthy, neutered 5 yr. old boy.

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I too experienced this........not as bad, but I had a collar on Sheena when she was a pup, and thought it was loose enough, but then my brother in law came in the house on day and told me he thought it was too tight on her...... I went and checked, and could barely get my fingers under it.
It didn't seem to be bothering her yet, but I immediatley got a bigger one.
I felt so bad!!!