Abscess - Can't Tell If It's Pus Crust Or Scab?

julianjulianjulian

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello friends-- Buddy went to see the vet on Caturday for an abscess on his back. It popped at the vet's so they flushed it and cleaned it, gave him a two week antibiotic, and some pain meds, and sent us home with instructions to put warm compresses to keep drawing the infection out. We've had no trouble with the compresses shockingly (he hates the pain meds more), but I have a couple questions.

The first day or so everything seemed pretty clear, no crusties or nasties. Then today, the open wound seems yellow around the edges, kind of crusty, and I've been wondering if that's infection or scab setting up? I also noticed some whiteish gooey something deep in the wound; it doesn't quite look like pus, but it could be. Should we be heading back to the vet tomorrow (Tuesday) instead of Wednesday for our already scheduled appointment? I'm inclined to just keep soaking it with the hot compresses and see what the vet says Wednesday, but wanted a second or third opinion. Thanks all!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I don't know what time it is for you by now, and I'm hesitant to make any conclusions, but I was thinking what if you took a picture of it and sent that in to your vet, and asked what they think?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Gosh, this is a hard one to call, simply because it could go either way. I'd say to go with your gut, if you weren't able to send them a picture and your Vet said to "come on in".

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

julianjulianjulian

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi friends, I ended up leaving it be, especially since we're going in tomorrow morning at the crack of dawn. After returning home from work it seems redder, but the yellow around the edges definitely turned out to be scab around the edges. Catsitter says he's been very active all day, jumping around and acting his normal bratty self. A relief, to be sure! We'll do a long hot compress tonight and then tomorrow see what vet says. She might pop the new scab off to continue to let the rather large wound air out, but it shouldn't be hard to do it, it's not grown over it yet.

Sandy Beach

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m dealing with a large abscess right now. On top of antibiotics, my vet gave me Nolvason solution to clean the abscess with 2xs a day. This is the 2nd abscess in 2 months and we’ve used Nolvason both times. It doesn’t appear to sting When I use it in her as she shows no signs of discomfort and even pushes into my hand that I’m cleaning the area out with.
Since you’ll be going back to the vet, just ask them to make sure it fully ruptured and all the pus is out. Hope your kitty feels better and heals soon! Hang in there!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

julianjulianjulian

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is the 2nd abscess in 2 months and we’ve used Nolvason both times.
OH no, I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope your wee one feels better soon. Thank you for the recommendation, I definitely brought it up with our vet this morning. She said it wasn't necessary in this case, but was a good suggestion.

Just for posterity's sake, in case anyone has similar questions: vet confirmed that the yellow at the edges was scabbing, and that it's good to remove it gently as it forms so the abscess heals from the center and not from the edges. We'll go back in ten days for a vaccination booster and to double check the wound.

Thanks everyone for your great advice, keep up the good work!

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My abscess treatment was on a rat, and it was really successful. We were advised to do warm WET compresses several times a day to draw the puss and keep the scab soft to allow drainage. Then we flushed it twice a day with a syringe and diluted betadine.
I believe he was on an antibiotic. He hated everything except the medicine. That was probably the time I was using baby lasagna.