about to give birth

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vmf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yeah, mom is always home and mom and cat are best friends
kitten is screaming all the time when he is left alone, if mother is not there i have to cover him or her (i dont know how to figure that out) with my palm and the it calms down, so far mother seems to be pretty irritated by smth (may be another kitten is coming like you said before), but then she ate whole can of the catfood and now they are sleeping, i just called my mom, they are sleepin in the igloo house and the kitten is moving. thats a good sign

P.S. how can i add a picture to the post, it doesnt give me an option to put it as an attachment or to link a pic from the external site.

http://public.fotki.com/vmf/cats/nusya/
here is a link to some pix of my cat, i will upload pix of the kitten when i will get home

vmf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
when i got home i decided to take a nap and the cat jumped to sleep on me as she usually does, but she left the kitten and kitten was really cold when i touched it, how can i provide the kitten with wormth on the permanent basis?

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The kitten was cold to the touch? Hrmmm ... this isn't good. If Mom isn't staying with the baby to provide warmth and nutrition, then you are going to have to force her to or else you will be bottle feeding and stimulating this little one yourself.

If you do not have one, go to Wal-Mart and buy a large or extra-large dog crate. They run around $50 to $70 dollars. While you are there, get several of the aluminum baking pans - the kinds you make a sheet cake in. Also, get some regular (not scooping) clay kitty litter.

Bring it all home, set up the bottom of the crate with snuggly blankets or towels (whatever you use, you will want to be able to wash them in a baby detergent like Dreft and bleach at some point so don't use anything that bleach will discolor) and fill the baking pan with a very shallow layer of the litter. Place all inside the crate and then put in Mom and Baby. Close the door to the crate and keep it closed. Cover the crate with a thick blanket and leave them be. Do not keep lifting the blanket to check on them - you should check every two hours but just a quick look see to make certain Baby is OK. Let Mom cat out once in the morning to feed and exercise and once again in the evening for play, loves, food and exercise. Then put her back in and do not let her out.

Observe Mom cat and Baby closely. Make 100% absolutely certain Mom is nursing the baby and that baby stays warm. Make up some rice heaters (I will look in a moment for the link to the instructions to make them up) and place them in with Mom and Baby.

Here is the cut and paste from kitten-rescue.com about the rice heaters ...

"fill a clean sock with uncooked white rice or white beans until the sock feels firm. Tie a secure knot in the open end and place the sock in the microwave for 60 seconds. Test the temperature before you put the sock heater in with your kitten. Make sure the sock is not too hot. If your kitten is cold, you can curl the sock around him. You can also use a hot water bottle or soda bottle, filled with very hot water and wrapped in a thin towel. Place this in the box next to your kitten. Make sure the soda bottle does not roll on top of your kitten by placing a small object underneath the blanket to stop it rolling. If you are using these alternative heating methods, you will need to re-warm the sock or refill the bottle with hot water at least every two to three hours. Use another towel or blanket to drape over the top of the box to keep the warmth inside."

Please post back and let me know how little one is doing???

~gf~

vmf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
will do, in a meantime i dont know how to make them sleep together during the night
i think i will just lock them up in the room and try not to disturb her so she can spend time with the kitten.

cjandbilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A cold kitten is a very bad sign. One of my kittens died after feeling that way. It is most certainly not something to take lightly.

aussie cat love

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Locking them up together is a good idea. Also do you have a hot waetr bottle you can put in their bed? It sounds like you need to stay away from the mother and let her keep her kitten warm , she is obviously very attached to you.

vmf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
we were sleeping together, all 3 of us
i put the igloo house on my bed and they were sleeping there, the kitten screams every 1-2 hours i don tknow if this is normal, it crawled out of the igloo house and was sleeping on my blanked and my cat came out and covered it with her body. it was pretty hard for me sleep with them but it had to be done, kitten was not cold last nite since i had the heat on in that room and the door locked. it looks like they are mostly active at night for some reason, once i left, i put the kitten in the igloo house and the cat went there and i just called my mom and they are sleeping there since i left. how long do i have to keep them locked up? for a first week?