About TICA show rules

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

CFA only allows 4 colors of Abys to be shown for some reason.
TICA allows more.
The reason is simple - the new colors in the Abyssinian was introduced into the breed by breeding Abys to Orientals, therefore, pedigrees are not pure. Same reason why Aby x Aby breeding = Aby, but Somali x Aby = Somali, even if the kittens come out shorthaired.

I would not be surprised if sooner or later CFA (probably later) will accept the new colors but NOT call them Abyssinians (see Saimese/Colorpoint SH, Balinese/Javanese and Oriental SH/LH ) and whatever these cats will be called, it will have a SH and LH division.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the Silver Abys/Somalias, but was talking to an Somali breeder at the ACFA show and asked did she think they would recognize the Silvers. She told me "probably not" - the biggest problem with the Silvers is barring and she said "it took a LONG time for Aby breeders to get rid of any barring on the legs.....we don't want to bring that back into the lines".

Have to admit she is probably right - when first showing cats 25+ yrs ago, I saw a lot of ghost barring on kitten legs and sometimes a little on adults. I don't remember the last time I saw ANY barring on Aby kittens!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Doesn't seem to be a problem with barring in the silvers here.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's what I was told. It was only one breeder, I'll have to talk to some others. Can't go by just what one person says. Personally I've seen some pics of them and I didn't notice the barring.

Probably is there are not a lot of Abys/Somalis at the shows any more.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally LOVE the silver somalis but not the Abys, IMO 2 bands of color does not make an Aby but that's IMO. The banding on the somalis are more and therefore, clearer and brighter. Considering that color on an Aby carries as many points as the Head in most registries, banding/ticking is of utmost importance!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I love the Silver Abys/Somalias, but was talking to an Somali breeder at the ACFA show and asked did she think they would recognize the Silvers. She told me "probably not" - the biggest problem with the Silvers is barring and she said "it took a LONG time for Aby breeders to get rid of any barring on the legs.....we don't want to bring that back into the lines".

Have to admit she is probably right - when first showing cats 25+ yrs ago, I saw a lot of ghost barring on kitten legs and sometimes a little on adults. I don't remember the last time I saw ANY barring on Aby kittens!
We don't have the 'barring problem' here either. FifÃ[emoji]169[/emoji] allows silvers and I think they are gorgeous!

Few examples from Finnish catshows: (black) silver Aby
and (black) silver Somali kitten.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bumping this topic just to add that I confirmed from the Finnish TICA-club's president that you can enter Scottish Straights into the HHP division.

I asked her earlier if Scottish Straights can be shown and she wasn't sure yet, the association is so new here that they don't know all the details yet...

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

That is good.
When do you plan on showing?
If I get the registration papers in time (they had a bit of a mix up) I'll be showing my Scottish Fold (with folded ears) kitten in 8th or 9th of august.
I've entered my shaded silver BSH into a two FifÃ[emoji]169[/emoji] shows, they are both also in august. His coat is always horrible that time of the year so we propably don't get certificates, but if he somehow gets them, we'll need to go somewhere abroad next time!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can't you enter as "pending" for the registration number? Here so long as the papers are filed that is allowed.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the black/silvers on those cats.
My sister wants a Snow Bengal but I need to make sure they can be shown first.
Cant they email you the reg numbers?
TICA is pretty fast when you register a cat.
I think you can enter a cat as pending but am not 100% sure.
When I showed Cleo in CFA the first time and did not have a paper copy of her reg number.
It came the day of the cat show after we had left.
They did send me a email with her reg number so I could show her.

northernglow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They had a problem with the pedigree of the dam of the litter as she was going to be registered to TICA at the same time as the kittens. The dam has russian pedigree and they needed to get it translated, messed up something and it took aaages from them to let the breeder know what was taking so long. Some other documents needed to be ordered from the russian association the dam was registered at and now they finally (and hopefully!) have all the papers they need, if they have arrived in US (had to send the originals). Now we are just waiting to hear from them. The show might be already full when we get the registration papers, but then I'll just wait for the next one.
If the dam and sire are not TICA registered, they won't let you enter a kitten while registration is pending.

*edit* Forgot to mention that snow bengals are allowed in TICA and FifÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]. They are insanely beautiful!