? about a Lump on Kittens tummy

littlestray

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my kittens has a mysterious lump on her tummy, it is located where her imbelica cord would have been. The lump is about the size of the tip of my pinkie and it is not hard, it is soft and mushy. She acts perfectly fine, eats and drinks and plays hard. Should I be concerned? This kitten ispart of a strays littler that I have taken in so I am very hesitant to take her to the vet because of finances. Thanks

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a hernia. Stormy had one when she was a kitten. It got a little bigger as she got older. The vet fixed it when she was spayed.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It certainly could be an umbilical hernia. How old is the kitten? It may also be a little abcess caused when the umbilical stump came off. Either way, best to let your vet have a look-see.

~gf~

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

littlestray

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The kitten is eight weeks old. She does not seem to be bothered by the lump. One of my other cats had a abcess before and she was very withdrawn and sick. The kitten seems fine, she is very active and eatting well.

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's probably an umbilical hernia. If she isn't acting like it's a problem and there is no sign of broken skin, etc, then it's not something to worry a great deal about. Just make sure to mention it to the vet when you take her for her shots. The hernia will be easily repaired when she is spayed and won't even require an extra incision.