Abnormal litter behavior following what seemed like a gastro

mister c

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,

My 8 years and a half male cat (sterilized, 15 pound (he's a big guy; vet says he is not overweight)) started being sick five days ago. He vomited on three different occasions (several hours apart), and it did not look like hairballs. He looked apathetic and was making weird and deep sounds. We then found out he was emptying his anal glands on the floor. We brought him to the vet the day after he started vomiting. She didn't find anything abnormal with: his temperature, his bladder, his anal glands. She took x-rays and didn't find anything. She gave him fluids and vitamins through IV, and laxative.

During that day after the vet he seemed better, he was eating and stopped making the sounds. In the past days, although he seems much better, from what we can perceive as his normal behavior, we have found another vomit (but smaller), some poo outside of his litter (which he shares with another cat, but the litter is definitely clean, and they have shared it for their whole lives without any incidents), we have seen him empty his anal glands numerous times around the house, and on two occasions yesterday we found some which seemed to have blood in them. 

I tried calling the vet's office to see if we could speak to the vet or a technician for advice (is it perhaps normal since he was brought to the vet and received these treatments? is it perhaps normal after his vomiting streak which made it seem like a cat gastro?), but no such luck. We only want to bring him back if completely necessary, because it is difficult to put him in his carrier and he becomes excessively stressed. 

I would be so grateful for any advice or shared experiences about such a situation; I am hoping that the behavior of emptying his anal glands outside the litter several times a day is not permanent, and especially that this is not because he is suffering.

Thank you so much!

that guy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you tried the simple things such as trying a different food? Is he eating wet or hard food? When he was at the vet did he have any blood tests done? There are many issues that can cause them to do their business outside of the litter box. If they have to go really bad they may not have enough time to make it to the box. Just think of the cat as a human? If this happened to you do you think it would be normal? Cats are really good at hiding medical issues so this may have been coming for a while and you did not see it because the cat was hiding it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mister c

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your response. I had begun changing their food to Happy Tails maybe three weeks ago, and still haven't passed the stage of putting in no more than 25% of the new food. I told the vet about it, she didn't think much of it. She didn't do blood tests yet, that would be the next step. By normal I meant, when humans are recovering from something, we tend to be weaker and still have residual symptoms. 

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he has blood in the anal gland fluid he could have an infected anal gland.  I would recommend taking him back to the vet.

mister c

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you cprcheetah. The vet checked his anal glands manually and said they seemed normal; do you know if testing for an infection would require further methods?

mister c

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think I was mistaken; it seems that it is urine that he is spreading in the house since his trip to the vet, not gland secretions.

sarah ann

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Take him back to the vet. I would suggest a urinalysis to check for stones or anything painful, and I would absolutely want to do a full bloodwork panel in case this is kidney failure which can cause the vomiting you describe.

Did they check for worms in a stool sample?

If he is leaking urine than most likely this is a urinary tract problem (kidneys or bladder). If he is having blood in his stool that points to a GI problem. Not sure what would cause both, although kidney disease can cause GI problems.

mister c

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much Sarah Ann, this is very helpful. I have an appointment for today. I will post the results of his visit here, in case someone else is going through this with their fur babies. 

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear you have a vet appointment.  Leaking urine with blood in it probably means he has a bladder infection.  Keep us posted.

mister c

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We just came back from the vet, indeed he has a urinary infection. He got some antibiotics and an anti-pain injection that is supposed to last a week. This vet (we saw a different one because we didn't want to wait two days to see the same one) felt a lump in his bladder. They did a urinalysis, and blood came out as well as particles. They analyzed the urine and saw abnormal cells, which they say they only see in cancerous cases; they sent the urine for further investigation at an external lab, and we should get the results tomorrow. The vet re-examined the x-rays and thought the kidneys seemed big; what she strongly suspects is a tumor in the bladder which could have spread to the kidneys.

Thank you for your much appreciated help.

mister c

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: no abnormal cells in the urine reported by the external lab, which is good news. Waiting to talk to the vet who felt a lump in his bladder to see if we should do an ultrasound.