Abby's going to the Vet

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Scared is an understatement! I've never heard a cat yeowl so much in my entire life, and I've had females that have not been spayed!!

I swear she was announcing to the whole world and some nearby planets about how mean her Meowmy was and for someone to come rescue her!

I left her at the vet's tonight. They can remove the cyst tomorrow, and rather than put her through all that trauma taking her home and bringing her back another day, I figured it would be best to just leave her. They have an empty house tonight, so it will be just her and whomever stays there over night looking after the animals.

I'll pick her up tomorrow before 6pm. While she's there they are going to remove a sebacious cyst on her back. It's the size of a pea and not likely to cause her any problems, but I'd rather it be removed anyway, since she's going to be sedated anyway.

The bill will be between $499 and $611 dollars. Maybe less if they don't have to do the general anesthetic and can do it using light sedation and local freezing. It depends on how she reacts to the light sedation. Sometimes the stinging sensation sets the cat off and counters the sedation due to the adrenaline rush. So we'll see. She was so wide-eyed when the doctor picked her up to take her to the back. When I reached out to give her a head scritch, she reached out and wanted me to hold her. So I did for a few minutes.

claydust

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took Kasey in on Dec. 28 to have a small cyst, about the size of a pea removed.

I didn't like putting her under anesthetic, the cyst was benign but the vet answered my question, what would you do if it was your cat, with removal. I had them clean her teeth, too.

I hated leaving this recue torti, who trusts me 100%, at the vet that day.

If it is any reassurance, she did just fine and has got over the experience completely. Actually, she seemed quite happy, maybe cleaned teeth feel good, I don't know.

I hope your experience goes as well as Kasey's.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw I'm just reading you had to leave her overnight. Honestly, it sounds like the best thing. Obviously she's scared, but that really is better than the terrifying trip several more times.
Plus they can be responsible for pulling up her food and water and you're not the mean meowmy - those mean people took her away from you and took her food away, and meowmy will come rescue her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

all goes well!!!!!!

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Scared is an understatement! I've never heard a cat yeowl so much in my entire life, and I've had females that have not been spayed!!

I swear she was announcing to the whole world and some nearby planets about how mean her Meowmy was and for someone to come rescue her!

I left her at the vet's tonight. They can remove the cyst tomorrow, and rather than put her through all that trauma taking her home and bringing her back another day, I figured it would be best to just leave her. They have an empty house tonight, so it will be just her and whomever stays there over night looking after the animals.

I'll pick her up tomorrow before 6pm. While she's there they are going to remove a sebacious cyst on her back. It's the size of a pea and not likely to cause her any problems, but I'd rather it be removed anyway, since she's going to be sedated anyway.

The bill will be between $499 and $611 dollars. Maybe less if they don't have to do the general anesthetic and can do it using light sedation and local freezing. It depends on how she reacts to the light sedation. Sometimes the stinging sensation sets the cat off and counters the sedation due to the adrenaline rush. So we'll see. She was so wide-eyed when the doctor picked her up to take her to the back. When I reached out to give her a head scritch, she reached out and wanted me to hold her. So I did for a few minutes.
I hated when I had to leave Midnight over night. He was fine. I'm sure Abby will be fine to. I hope everything goes well during surgery. Bet she can't wait to get back home to be with you

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just home, and $600.00 poorer!

She reacted to the freezing and despite the sedation they gave her prior, they felt it wasn't enough for them to continue, so they gave her General.

She has a bandage on her front paw. Stitches in the top of her head and on her back.

The cyst that was on her back was reddened, so they gave her an injection of an antibiotic. They were going to send me home with pills, and I said "Nope!" Injections please. The one they gave is a 14 day duration.

She's bald on top of her head, part of her back and her front leg.

And groggy as all heck! Walking and falling over.

I was in a hurry and had a cab waiting (the weather is awful and the driver looked to see how many requests in the area and how many cars. There were 9 requests and no cars. I would have been waiting 2 hours for a ride home. So he waited. I didn't get a chance to see my new additions.

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad she's home safe and sound. Poor girl...those bald spots are gonna be cold!

I'm glad the surgery is behind you and you have the weekend for lovin' her as she recups!

C

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending lots of healing vibes Abby's way Do you have an e-collar you can put on her so she can't scratch her incision sites? (If you don't, pm me and I'll tell you how to make a homemade one). Hopefully she will feel much better once she heals up!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I asked about one of those collars. They said I don't need one. The incision is far enough on her head/neck that she can't really reach the incision itself. It wasn't until the cyst got larger that she managed to scratch it open.

She's sleeping in the cupboard right now. Came out for a bit and laid down next to the carrier, and then back to the kitchen. She seems more steady.

I'm tired and it's only 6:40 pm but I"m heaving to bed to watch TV. I'm undecided about whether I should bring her to bed with me. I don't want her to fall off the bed, but they told me that she should avoid stairs for tonight, and to get on my bed, she has to get onto a chair. I think it would be easier for her to get up when she feels like it, rather than to try and get down though, so I"m going to leave her in the cupboard.

I did give her a bit of a cuddle earlier. She was staggering all over the place and falling over. I just couldn't bear it so I picked her up and gave her a few snuggles, then let her go into the cupboard.

Tomorrow she should be good as new. Bald! But good as new. I'll take that tape off her leg tomorrow when she's feeling better and more sociable.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's doing fine now! Anesthetic has worn off, after trying and failing once during the night and hurting her pride, she managed to find her way to the top of the bed to snuggle with me most of the night. I put my laundry basket upside down on the side of the bed she kept trying to jump up on in order to give her a step up. She used it once or twice and then just jumped from the floor towards morning.

She got lots of "brushes" (I think that's her favourite word) this morning, and I notice that she loves when I rub/scratch the saved areas. I guess it feels different than getting scratched through her fur coat.

She's eating/drinking fine and not bothering the incisions at all.

I forgot to mention a blood test finding...but I'll post that under another thread.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Smart thinking on keeping the cab waiting.

SO glad all went well (except the bood work - replied there) - and you two found a comfortable way for her to snuggle up in bed with you!

for her healing!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad she's doing better and she wanted to snuggle last night. I think that's always a good sign. Glad you kept the taxi waiting. You might've ended up with more kitties!