Abandoned Kittens

Kanani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Five days ago, I discovered two half grown kittens abandoned at the end of a country road near a mill pond. No houses within miles. Just woods and the mill pond and the road. No food or shelter. Winter coming on. I took them some food Friday afternoon, and went back to feed them Saturday morning, and they were gone. I was hoping to gain their trust enough to catch them and try to find a home for them. I have no idea where they went or what happened to them. It's sad. I don't know if they fell prey to pedators or if they wandered off in search of shelter or what. It doesn't seem like they would leave after being fed. Would kittens or young cats wander off in search of shelter? I hope nothing bad happened to them. I'm sure they're hungry again after two days, but I don't want to just leave food when they're not in sight. I don't know where they are. Any suggestions?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kanani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have no way of knowing their age, but they look about half grown. When I fed them Friday afternoon, they ate like they were starving, but I was able to pet one of them, and it didn't feel boney, so I'm thinking they were dropped and abandoned.

Kanani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What would I catch? A raccoon? An opossum? A fox? I don't see them there anymore. :(

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you bait a trap, the kittens might come to it. I’m not sure what you’re asking. I’m assuming you want to try to find them.

Kanani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd love to find them. I will try that. Thank you.

Kanani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I went back yesterday, and the kittens were there again! I fed them, and while I was waiting for them to finish eating, the owner of the property stopped and told me not to put food on his property. I tried to explain that I wasn't leaving food there, but he didn't even want me putting food down long enough to feed them!! He said I can trap them, but not to put food down anymore. I told him I wouldn't, and he left. What a jerk!! How can I coax them to me or trap them without food? I need to get them out of there ASAP. I bought a trap on my way home. But my next issue is.... WHERE to take them after I catch them? I have contacted and called every veternarian and rescue group there is, and no one can take them. I have no place for them myself. Someone mentioned adding to an existing colony that someone is already caring for. They need to be vetted and fixed, but that has to be done before releasing them anywhere. Time is of essence, and I'm not finding any assistance.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you keep them inside your home at all? If they are young, it won’t be hard to get them adopted. I see no reason why they would have to join a colony.

Kanani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have no place to keep them or I would. We already have four indoor cats and can't let them outside because of neighbors dogs they let run free. I believe these kittens would be wonderful pets but I can't find anyone who wants them . So sad . I can take them where some other homeless kitties are being fed and they could find shelter. At this point that's all I can do for now.

Kanani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
About an hour south of Fredericksburg va. Someone suggested calling pet smart rescue. I will try that.

Kanani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I FINALLY found someone that will take them in. A cat rescue person in colonial beach va. Now I just need to capture them and take them to her. :)

Kanani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The kitties were still there when I arrived a little before 5 pm. The gray one started walking towards me and meowing. I know he was expecting me to give him food. I put a can of open food in the large pet carrier and set it on the ground, and he went in after it, and I closed the door. That was easy! I put him in my suv. The black and white kitty was more difficult. She wouldn't let me near her as always. I put an open can of tuna in the small trap and set it on the ground where she usually comes out of the woods. She was just a little ways in the woods watching. I got back in my suv and waited. It looked like she was going to go inside the trap a couple of times, but then went and sat a distance from it. I went and got gas while waiting, and went back. She still wasn't in the trap. The trap looked small, and I thought that might be why she won't go in. I went back to the store and bought the larger trap and went back and found her inside the small trap! That took an hour and a half. I put her in the suv and called the lady and she said to bring them, so I did. Her house is amazing! She has it built for her rescue cats!! All open floorplan with a lot of space and cat trees and toys everywhere! She must have fifty or more cats! She put the two kittens I had brought together in a very large carrier, and they seemed content enough for what they'd been through. The lady told me that the black and white one is female. I told her that I would like to know how they are doing as time goes on. She said she has a website and is on Facebook.

Wendysfelinefriends.org
Wendy'sfelinefriends@facebook
[email protected]

Kanani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you!! I told her that I do want to follow their progress. That is why she gave me her contact info and said to join her Facebook group and "like" her page, which I will do.

I'm so elated and glad that she took them!! It does my heart good to know they are in a safe place now and getting the care they so deserve. They will have a good life now, even if they don't get adopted, because once they have their check ups and shots and get fixed, they will have the run of her place with all of the other kitties! It's truly a kitty paradise there!! :)

Attachments

Kanani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you!

And just in time, too, before bad weather set in. The past several days have been beautiful clear days in the 50's and 60's. Last night it started raining and was cold. Today and tomorrow are rainy, and the nights will be getting colder, but they are in a warm dry safe place now with plenty of food and clean water and will be getting medical care and be spayed and neutered. They have a home <3

We all have much to be thankful for this Thanksgiving and always, and these two kittens do, too! I am so thankful to have found them and to have been an instrument in their rescue from their plight to a wonderful new life.

Happy Thanksgiving! :)

Kanani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update on kittens:

A couple of days ago, I called Wendy's Feline Friends to find out how the kittens were doing. They had been to the vet and got checked over, got their shots, and fixed. The male tabby is so friendly and cuddly, he was named "Puppy". He has the run of the place. His black and white tuxedo sister is still shy and scared, so has been kept in a small enclosure where she is being worked with. She named her "Gidget". Wendy said she is going to introduce some other young kittens in hopes of drawing her out of her shell.

At least they have a good place to live now. It's cold and snowy here now.