Abandoned Kitten

rmmg14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found an abandoned kitten on street so i took it home . Could you help me how to tale care of it and i think it's 1-2 weeks old. Please help thanks

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ohh, what a sweet looking kitten.  Don't worry, it won't be long until one of our advisors  will catch wind of you and be here to help you.  You have come to the right place.  I will check back later. 

Last edited by a moderator:

zoop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It looks older than 1-2 week. Can you post some more photos with reference for size? Have you weighed him?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I found an abandoned kitten on street so i took it home . Could you help me how to tale care of it and i think it's 1-2 weeks old. Please help thanks
Which country are you in?  It helps giving us suitable advices.

Anyway, you must handraise him.  or rear by hand...  if you google.  In our Pregnant and Kitten care forum, we have some articles. AND many treads...

OK, what you will need.  goats milk or kitten mothermilk replacement.   cow milk not so good!

A bottle with nipples.  or perhaps easier to begin with a little sponge, for example such as is used for make-up. the kitten suckles from this sponge, and you drop kmr with a dropper on the sponge.

A needleless syringe or a dropper, if the kittens is bad at suckling.  Tummy down, head up, raised a little up. Dropwise in the corner of the mouth, just let it down there.  Burp after the feeding.

He will need  at least 40ml a day, begin with every hour,  gives about 2ml at a time, and you can sleep 4 hours in the night.

Good you have a scale, so you know exaclty how much he weights, and if he gains properly.

Make sure the kitten is warm and comfortable.   So you must warm it up actively, he cant keep warmth himself, even with a blanket on.

You can for example carry the kitten at your chest - very effective.

Be sure the fluids you give, are body warm - but NOT too hot (beware of the micro

Good if you have say honey at home, and can give thick honey water smear on gums and lips - helps if he is weak or begins to be lethargic.

I think its the most important for now.

Please come back with reports anf further questions.

Ps. he may be dehydrated some.  You can begin with some barely sweet honeywater  and a little salt in, with a dropper, ad said above.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

rmmg14

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Philippines. I tried hand raising puppies and it's my first time raising cats .I don't have a scale

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The ears are open so it is at least 3 weeks old.  It may still need a heating source (hot water bottle, rice sock, heating pad)  A small stuffed animal for a companion is also a good idea.

You can use a small kitchen scale that weighs in grams or 0.0 ounces.  It will tell you if you are feeding it enough and if the kitten is gaining enough weight to thrive vs. survive.

Have you seen these articles?

[article="29659"]Hand Rearing Kittens What You Need To Know To Save A Newborns Life​[/article]  

[article="33289"]Weighing Newborn Kittens And How This Could Save Their Lives​[/article]  

Keep using this thread for any questions or concerns you may have.

Be aware, the kittens body may develop diarrhea or constipation while it is adjusting to the food you are feeding it.  You can use unflavored pedialyte (store bought or home made - boiled water, pinch of salt, bit of honey or sugar and sometimes baking soda) to help replace fluids lost to diarrhea, olive oil (or other veggie or coconut oil) to relieve constipation, or add pumpkin puree to KMR or food as a pro-biotic to help with either.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Philippines. I tried hand raising puppies and it's my first time raising cats .I don't have a scale
Handraising puppies isnt that very much different.  The mothermilk substitute arent exactly alike.  The difference comes also later on, as dogs are more of all eaters, while cats are more striclty carnivores, ie meat-eaters. And thus, almost all of their food should have animal origin.

You can perhaps lend a scale from some neigbour?  Useful in many situations, both to count how much food (kmr or goats milk) he shall have, and also, if he adds properly. Adding 10gram a day or even more, is good.

What did you got?  Goats milk or kmr? or??

frajude

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Walmart sells goats milk for around 4.95.  I fed my kitten who was 17 weeks old when I took him to the vet.  It is much less expensive than the canned mothers milk.  My kitten was 4 lbs 6 oz at 17 weeks and the vet said that was ok.  I think it is wonderful that you had compassion on such a tiny living thing.  

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As stated above please don't feed the kitten cow milk you need to get kitten formula or full   goats milk. Please let us know how you and the little one are doing.  Thank you for helping