Abandoned Kitten Help

nycste89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My husband and I found little Elley outside of our apartment. She weighs about 1lb. We think she's about 4 weeks old. I've been giving her a milk substitute as well as half a can of wet kitten food. I have a few concerns. She's still hungry. She starts meowing and pawing at her food bowl. Should I feed her half a can in the morning and the other half at night? Also, I don't think she's sleeping enough. She's very energetic. She's only sleeping about 8 hours altogether. Right now, I have her in her room with her litter box, bed, stuffed animal, and water. I turned off the light and just kept her nightlight on. She finally went to sleep for the first time since about 7 this morning. Should I just keep doing that? One more thing: she won't drink water. She tries it then pushes it away. She drinks the milk just fine though. Is it a problem?

We've had her for a week. We can't take her to the vet right now. We weren't planning on getting a pet, but we couldn't leave her out in the rain. There are no shelters around that are no kill, so we've decided to keep her and save up vet money.

To sum up the questions:
Am I feeding her enough?
How do I get her to sleep more?
Should she be drinking water?

Any tips you have would be appreciated.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can get a cat or kitten to sleep you can make money out of your method!

If she is getting milk subsitute and wet food then she will drink very little if at all, and it sounds like you need to feed her more.  A kitten that age needs more than 2 feeds a day - they have a tiny stomach - 4 or more is better.  But let her eat as much as she wants.

She needs the vets PDQ as she needs worming, and she will need vaccinating in a few weeks and neutering in a couple of months.

She might be older than 4 weeks to be so keen on wet food.  Are her eyes still blue?

Lastly, where are the photos?  We love photos here!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nycste89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just to clarify, I am feeding her multiple times a day, just not a lot at once.

We're going to deworm her this week after payday. She's having good bowel movements. She seems to be in very good health other than the sleeping.

Her eyes are blue-gray. I'm on my phone, so I'm not quite sure how to post pics.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Should I feed her half a can in the morning and the other half at night?
Feed her as much as she will eat, 4-5 times per day. Agree she needs worming as soon as you can, and a proper vet check to ensure she's healthy.

Kittens are usually full of beans and don't sleep all that much.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nycste89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We found a vet today, so Friday is little Elley's appt. She finally slept today. Apparently the trick was letting her sleep on my shoulder/neck area in a,way that was completely uncomfortable to me. Funny how that happens, huh? Haha.

I took the advice here and upped her food. She seems much more content. I have been teaching her to go up and down our carpeted stairs. She seems to love it. Is it safe for her to do? I don't want to cause arthritis. She doesn't do it for very long. I'm sure I'm being overly cautious, but I'm completely in love with this kitten. I've had pets before, but she's not just a pet. She's family.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Apparently the trick was letting her sleep on my shoulder/neck area in a,way that was completely uncomfortable to me.
She's training you well 

The stairs should be ok, so long as she can't fall down. Great you've found a vet too.

Last edited:

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Given that her eyes are changing and that she's eating wet food so well I'm inclined to think she may be a week or two older. 

Agreed that with the milk substitute and wet food she will drink little to no water but you should still keep it out for her at all times, and change it everyday. 

Kittens especially seem partial to the cat-nap. They will sleep for 30 minutes then run around then sleep a little more- that's just the name of the game! Her energy level is a good sign that she is healthy (although she still needs her de-worming, shots, and spaying so good for you for getting an appt). 

I wouldn't worry about the stairs so long as MM said she can't fall down them. When she's bigger she will run up and down them constantly I'm sure! 

I know money is tight and you weren't planning on the addition but after the necessities of the vet are taken care of I would invest in a scratching post (to save your furniture), microchipping, and a collar with a tag- that way if she gets out she can be returned to you! Even with the microchip cats with collars are more likely to be returned because it tells people that she is a pet and not just a stray. Toys are of course always good to have too but there are plenty you can make at home. You would be amazed how many hours of entertainment an empty roll of toilet paper or a paper bag can provide! Here is an article I like but you can find a ton just searching the internet: http://www.catster.com/lifestyle/4-cat-toys-you-can-make-from-a-toilet-paper-roll . When buying toys I always hit up the bargain bin at the pet store first! 

You did an amazing thing by rescuing her. Congratulations on the new family member! Enjoy this phase- they grow up fast! 

Ask as many questions as you need to and welcome to TCS! 

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Stairs are just entertainment to a kitten.  No problem there.  In fact, it's great exercise.

You might check around for a low-cost vet.  Call the shelter and see if they have a program.  The SPCA (NOT the HSA) may be able to put you in contact with a low-cost vet.

A kitten can enrich your life in ways you would never guess, and studies show people with pets are just plain happier and healthier.  So think of your kitten as an investment in life improvement.