Abandoned kitten approximately 10-14 days old says vet. Need advice!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ebonly2000

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well everyone I am glad you guys liked the photos.  She is definitely a little character.  I have noticed something going on the last 24 hours.  Since she has been eating a lot of soft food and about 90ml-120 ml of KMR a day she seems to have very soft and sometimes diarrhea poops.  Is this normal?  I mean I think maybe she might be over doing the soft food but I am not sure.  She is still acting normal and completely active.  It doesn't seem to be phasing her but it concerns me a tiny bit.  She won't drink water so I am still giving her the bottle.  She decides when she wants soft food and when she wants her bottle.  She is very clear what she wants.  Should i do something different?

ebonly2000

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update.  Her poop fixed itself within 24 hours and she has been eating soft and hard food.  She won't drink water infront of me and she won't drink the bottle.  How do I know if she is getting fluids?

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Can you measure how much you put in her water bowl each day when you change it, and check again when you take it to change the next time?  She will have had a fair % of the difference.  Just use a measuring cup or something when you put the water in to the bowl she likes, and pour it back in  to the measure again  when you empty the bowl to refresh.

She will be getting fluid from her wet food too.

Last edited:

mamabirdy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would suggest putting some water in with her soft food, I did that with my kittens from about 6 weeks as they wouldn't drink water from a bowl, some of it gets absorbed into the food and they lick up the rest as it becomes flavoured with the food. I give them each a 100g sachet twice a day and add 2 tablespoons of water to each serving.

ebonly2000

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry I haven't updated lately.  I tried to measure the water in the bowl trick but unfortunately my other 2 cats drink so much of it I really can't tell how much she is getting.  So, I decided to try putting extra water in her soft food.  I made it into a soup consistency and she has been eating/drinking that happily.  She has also been eating hard food on her own.  I think she mainly goes for the soft food for hydration not really nourishment. She is healthy and happy still though.  Thank you for the tips on how to get her to drink.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Great news.  You are doing so well.    
 for mamabirdy and her experience too!

How is Hope's play and exploring coming along?  I hope she has plenty of energy and is building up strong muscles to lift that round tummy of hers off the floor. 

ebonly2000

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
MServant,

Since I have gotten her she has never walked with her belly on the floor.  She has always been a very strong little girl.  But she has gotten stronger to the point that she no longer wobbles.  She runs around and tackles my other kitten who acts as her mother.  And she has learned to jump and pounce.  She is finally able to get onto bed, couches, and chairs all by herself.  She is just about able to jump all the way onto them but she isn't quite there yet.  She is up to a normal healthy hyper kitten's range now.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
YAY! Happy to hear how well little Hope is doing these days. Great advice about adding in some water to the soft food! :clap: Exactly what I still do with my cats still, even as adults! Any extra water you can get into Hope is a good thing! Just so glad to here she is growing, thriving and being a happy little girl! :) :wavey:

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
 Very happy to hear she is coming along nicely with her climbing and adventuring!  

My apologies if you felt I was seeing her as still being a weak little baby as she was when you first found her.  My reference to lifing her tummy off the floor was more to do with her looking like she has a nice round kitten belly now, is well fed and growing so well.  I do not think of her as being weak, I think of her as a tiny but detrmined little adventurer that you are protecting from the world as she develops the skills that she needs. On that note I am also delighted to hear that she is 'tackling' your other kitten.  This is fantastic for her and everything she needs to learn about being a young cat.    

ebonly2000

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
MServant,

Oh don't worry, I didn't think you thought of her as weak.  I don't think anyone that has read all of this could ever think she was a weak baby.  I was merely bragging about her. lol.  She is also hunting house flies as she sees them which shows to me that she is learning to be a true kitty from my other 2 kitties.  Oh and I will try to get more pics of little hope soon. 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds brilliant!  Good eyesight too. 
   Honing those strength, speed, coordination and vestibular skills that will have her flying through the air for prey much bigger than she is in no time! 
 I'd just love to watch little kittens develop, and hearing about Hope as she comes along so nicely is the next best thing.  

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
 I'd just love to watch little kittens develop, and hearing about Hope as she comes along so nicely is the next best thing.  
:yeah: Hope's story is very special, heartwarming and is, well, filled with HOPE :lol3: ! We would love to see more Hope :pix: soon. :clap:

Last edited: