Abandoned Cats Taken In One Appears Imminently About To Have Kittens - All Advice Greatly Appreciate

SpinkyDinkyDoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there,
We have recently managed to persuade the cats that were abandoned by neighbours into our home. One is a Tom (my friend inspected him and said he has been done) The other a small tabby female looks VERY pregnant and now we have managed to persuade her to be petted it appears these kits are imminent.
I have researched as much as I can and want to be sure we are ready for these kittens to support mum and babies as best as we can.

Just to be clear, we will be taking mum to be done as soon as soon as it is possible. (I’ve read 8 weeks post birth is fine)

I apologise for my lack of knowledge in advance, I’ve kever had cats before but we have fallen in love with these two abandoned cats and everyday they are growing in confidence. Although they still swipe food out of their bowls and gobble it on the floor. Poor little kitties.

So this is what I have prepared so far
I bought a queening kit from amazon with a variety of things in that may or may not be needed during the birth

Made a snuggly box for her (that she is showing zero interest in) Should I be worried about this?

Bought some hand feeding bottles and cimicat formula milk incase she rejects the kittens (by the looks of her she is young cat as she is quite small so this may or may not be her first time.)

I’ve looked at heating pads and thought I ought to get one of those also but there are a couple of options, one that heats up after an animal has laid on it for ten minutes and another that you just turn on and it heats up... I thought the second one would be better as the kittens will need warmth instantly ? What do you think?

Put the emergency vets number on speed dial

Does anyone have any other tips or advice? I’m still researching to ensure we can do everything possible to be prepared for the kits arriving and give mum everything she needs.

I am also concerned that we do not know if these cats have had jabs, wormed, Flead...
I discussed it with our local vetinary surgery and they advised to keep them in and build a bond with them before taking them to the surgery for jabs and an examination. I’ve bought two cat carriers in preparation for this but do not feel either are ready, especially upsetting pregnant mum (although she is far less feral than the older larger boy cat.)

Feel like I’m putting myself in a tailspin worrying about all of these things so any advice is so so appreciated.

Many thanks in advance... (Sorry that was so long)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
You're doing absolutely great, hopefully her mothering instincs switch on and take over when she has the babies.
The second heating pad, set on low with a couple towels over it should work for warmth when mama takes a break.
Mama cats are notorious for choosing places for birthing/nesting that don't necessarily make sense to us, but it could be that she's just not ready to be looking for a nesting location.
Hang in there!
Oh by the way, do you have a flea comb that mama will let you use? That could help...
Hang in there, and bless your great big hearts!!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

SpinkyDinkyDoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for going to the trouble of sending me those links and all of reassuring advice you have given, that’s so kind of you.

I don’t have a flea comb but I have a nit comb (I also have four children, lol) I’ll have a go with that) if not my other half is off to Pets at home later to get another litter tray so we can bring her into our room so we don’t miss the birth and can make sure she and her kits are somewhere warm (incase she doesn’t use the box we have made for her) and that everything goes well for her and her babies...

I’ve ordered the heat pad.

Got some weigh scales ready for the birth too now.

I looked at the instructions for frontline flea stuff and it says it is safe to use in pregnancy but I think I might call the vet just to double check. I’ve just given them a wormer that the vet said would be fine (forgot to ask about the flea stuff) ..... just popped the tablets in a piece of chicken and they ate it...(well Boy cat clawed it out of my hand and gobbled it up, then I saw the tablet had dropped out on the floor and he just ate that too. He doesn’t trust that he will be fed consistently. I tried putting a bowl of biscuits down (someone recommended it online) so they could free feed but he just ate the lot and then got a very poorly tummy so we have abandoned that idea.

I think I’m more nervous than when I’ve given birth myself, lol! Thanks again Furballsmom, you’re a star. x

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
when the time comes or you think it's getting close stay on this site. There will be people to help you. "No, that looks fine." "Yes, you're right to be concerned, keep an eye on that." "Right, time to go to the vets." You won't be alone. Many here have seen it all, I haven't, but they are willing to be there, help, and just plain hold your hand and kit's paw.

Boy kitty, yep, been there. It may take him over a year to recover from starving. He was close in his opinion and he may have been giving girl cat the large share. Some toms are excellent dads and uncles and take care of the queens. I knew a feral tom who took care of two queens and their kittens. He checked all the food offered to them and him before they ate. He never ate more than a bite leaving it to the ladies and kits.

fosterella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is me 13 weeks ago! We rescued a mother who seemed very young. If I had eperience with fostering I had none in Queens giving birth. I read everything possible on this forum and at some point felt ready. I also though our mama was young I thought 6-7 months as she is very small be vet said she was probably 2 years old.
I was very worried when she finally gave birth, I said finally as it felt like we had to wait for ages before it happened (2 weeks lol). We had set several boxes ready for her to give birth but she chose another place. She then let us move her kittens to a more appropriate place.
I was concerned she wouldn't look after the kittens as well and she proved to be an amazing mom.
Also, be aware when it happens, as we thought the first kitten wasn't alive, when you watch her, there is some time between the moment the kitten gets out and the moment you are really sure she is alive. It takes something that feels like a really long time for her to lick the kitten.
Congratulations for giving both cats a home!

SpinkyDinkyDoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks again, Still waiting for the kits to arrive, her tummy seems to have dropped a bit lower now, she doesn’t seem as wide at the sides. She (Tiggy) is still eating like a horse though and I read that they go off their food prior to giving birth.... We are both now sleeping on the sofas downstairs with her as she doesn’t know like being shut in our bedroom with us, plus she can get under the bed etc so I thought it a better place and she is happier as our lounge is more familiar to her and has her smell around the place. Think my hubby thinks I’ve gone a bit OCD over the whole thing but I could never forgive myself if I missed it and something happened to her and or her kits.... x x x

SpinkyDinkyDoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is me 13 weeks ago! We rescued a mother who seemed very young. If I had eperience with fostering I had none in Queens giving birth. I read everything possible on this forum and at some point felt ready. I also though our mama was young I thought 6-7 months as she is very small be vet said she was probably 2 years old.
I was very worried when she finally gave birth, I said finally as it felt like we had to wait for ages before it happened (2 weeks lol). We had set several boxes ready for her to give birth but she chose another place. She then let us move her kittens to a more appropriate place.
I was concerned she wouldn't look after the kittens as well and she proved to be an amazing mom.
Also, be aware when it happens, as we thought the first kitten wasn't alive, when you watch her, there is some time between the moment the kitten gets out and the moment you are really sure she is alive. It takes something that feels like a really long time for her to lick the kitten.
Congratulations for giving both cats a home!
Thank you so much, that’s really good to know. We have four different boxes for her but she is not interested in them.
I’ve been obsessively reading and watching you tube videos of cat births so I know what to expect. Her tummy seems to have dropped a bit, she doesn’t seem as wide at the sides today..... I wonder if that is like human pregnancy when your bump drops because baby has got into position ready for birth?
Where did your girl decide to give birth? Is there anything you can think of that I might need?
I have got a lot of stuff (totally gone overboard) Hopefully I won’t need any of it and she will be an amazing mum. She’s a gorgeous little tabby with white paws and a white tummy.
Did you keep her kittens? Or sell them? I’ll post some pics of the stuff I’ve got and some pics of her to see what you all think....
Again thanks so much for sharing your experience. It’s really helped to reassure me. X x x

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No matter how much you prepare, they always seem to prefer the worst spot to have the kittens! If you see her seeking a out of the way place, the time is near, just be sure she can't get to a place where you can't get her or watch her. 99% of cats give birth just fine. You'll know when she is contracting, her abdomen will tighten and then loosen. She may cry out. It happens rather fast at times, make sure she is not too tired to get the membrane off the kittens face. If she is relaxed and taking care of teh kits everything is fine, if she is crying out and ignoring them for longer than an hour, call the vet. You should be feeding her kitten food now and when she is nursing, it is higher in nutrition and calories. They get very thin while nursing.
You will be blessed for helping these sweet babies. They will bring much happiness and love to your home and soul. It takes a while for a cat to learn trust again, you earn a cat's love. All the luck, keep us posted!

SpinkyDinkyDoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Disposable bed pads and little soft microfibre cloths in case any need wiping/ rubbing up to help breath.
A queening kit on the right in the box I bought from amazon but I think it’s actually more for puppy’s but I think there are some useful things in there
Disposable gloves in case she needs help so we don’t put our smell on the kits
Feeding bottles (just in case she rejects them or one is not gaining weight as it should)
Kitten formula milk
A little chart I’ve made for when she gives birth so I can keep track of things (anything I’ve forgotten???)
2 of the boxes we have prepared
A heat pad (which both cats are already loving!)
Not pictured is kitchen roll, a couple of other boxes we have prepared, scales (currently being used for making pancakes by my daughter lol)
Spare towels and blankets

I’ve gone completely over the top haven’t i?

SpinkyDinkyDoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No matter how much you prepare, they always seem to prefer the worst spot to have the kittens! If you see her seeking a out of the way place, the time is near, just be sure she can't get to a place where you can't get her or watch her. 99% of cats give birth just fine. You'll know when she is contracting, her abdomen will tighten and then loosen. She may cry out. It happens rather fast at times, make sure she is not too tired to get the membrane off the kittens face. If she is relaxed and taking care of teh kits everything is fine, if she is crying out and ignoring them for longer than an hour, call the vet. You should be feeding her kitten food now and when she is nursing, it is higher in nutrition and calories. They get very thin while nursing.
You will be blessed for helping these sweet babies. They will bring much happiness and love to your home and soul. It takes a while for a cat to learn trust again, you earn a cat's love. All the luck, keep us posted!
Thank you for your lovely words and advice. we have been feeding her (Tiggy) and (poppy) (we thought he was a girl as he is super fluffy and the children don’t want to change his name) Both kitten food.
Everyday that goes by they seem more relaxed, Poppy has been curling up on my husbands lap the past few days so that has been so cute to see. Tiggy’s favourite person is one of My daughters, Evie who is 11 and just loves animals (as we all do) and wants to be a vet, she likes to sleep on her bed and watch her iPad with her lol!
We feel so lucky that they chose us to trust and take care of them, we live in the middle of a field and the neighbour that abandoned them when they moved out lives about a mile over the fields.
Just don’t know they could have left these gorgeous kitties. X x x

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My goodness I think you are ready! I can't think of anything you forgot, and hopefully you won't have to use any of it. If you don't want to take it back, please consider donating it to your local shelter or get on facebook and see if there are any fosters in your area. I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated. Once again, GOOD LUCK!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can put your bed springs and mattress on the floor and store the bed frame and headboard while the kits are young. If there is no space under the bed, she can't hide them under there. If she does decide to hide them there she will put them in the exact middle so you will have to do the alligator wiggle to get to them. Later, when they begin hunting they will hide their prizes under the exact middle and you will be alligatoring to collect lettuce and egg shells.

I did not read the above in a book.

Waiting with you to see the kits.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I love the alligator wiggle reference , and it's so accurate! :thumbsup:

I am so glad these two cats found your family, you-all sound fantastic. All the VERY best to your daughter in her future endeavor of becoming a vet :heartshape:

You know, there's a saying that goes something like "chance favors the prepared".
Hopefully Tiggy and the tinies don't need extra help but if they do, --and time is so critical for this situation, I think you, your daughter, husband and all will have the situation in hand.

:rock:

SpinkyDinkyDoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My goodness I think you are ready! I can't think of anything you forgot, and hopefully you won't have to use any of it. If you don't want to take it back, please consider donating it to your local shelter or get on facebook and see if there are any fosters in your area. I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated. Once again, GOOD LUCK!
We support our local animal shelter so I’d already thought if I don’t use any of it I’d box it up and take it over for them to have. They take clothes and households goods And with four kids I’m practically always bagging stuff up that’s been outgrown that they have people who sell to buy stuff for the shelter.

She seems very restless today... moving around from place to place... she’s even been in one of the boxes for a little nap... maybe they are on their way? Thank you for your words of support. x x x