Abandoned Cat

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my tenants moved out and left a cat (they were not allowed animals, I didn't even know they had one). They were evicted and left no forwarding address. She appears to be an adult, about 1-2 yrs according to the vet. She is rather large in spite of her short stature
She weighs 10 lbs. The vet said she didn't need any special care but I wondered if there are things I need to know about this breed?

Yes, she is a Munckin
and we have named her Ryder (as in low rider). Right now she is my office cat and she hasn't even tried to venture out of the office.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know that a lot of people want munchkins and can't afford them!

She is a cutie. And it looks like she loves you, too.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All that I know of is that they can't jump quite as high as a normal height cat and some possibility of curving issues in the spine. Your vet could keep an eye out for that.

I have a female cat, that while she isn't a munckin, she does have short legs. Her jumping up height is limited to jumping up to my bed... and sometime she misses that and bounces off the side.

That's easily remedied by the cedar chest beside the bed. I'm sure your kitty would like a few accommodations like that.

I do have to wonder, though. If you had allowed pets and they hadn't had to hide the cat from you if you would have had less of a surprise? - though that wouldn't prevent people abandoning animals.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I do have to wonder, though. If you had allowed pets and they hadn't had to hide the cat from you if you would have had less of a surprise? - though that wouldn't prevent people abandoning animals.
These tenants were not very nice people and would probably have abandoned her anyway
I manage an apartment complex that is Section 8 for low income families. HUD does not allow pets, only assistance animals. It is sad and I think that all responsible tenants should be allowed pets. Unfortunetly most of my tenants are not very responsible. I have to follow HUD rules although I am allowed pets, I am not under Section 8 contract as a tenant.

She is really nice and rolls over for belly rubs. My kids just love her.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All right, gotcha!
Interesting, though, that they could afford a munchkin somehow, yet couldn't take her with them.

It's good to know she's so social and great with kids. It sounds like you found yourself a real gem.

mysterycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She's very cute, she looks like my Charlie. I haven't seen a munchkin cat, I;m glad that you adopt her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think much of it until she gets up and moves around, then she looks like a Daschund
It is very weird to see a full grown cat on such short legs. I have to hold her for 30 days according to animal control and then I can consider her mine and re-home her or keep her. She isn't spayed, so I can do that after 30 days as well.
These tenants didn't have jobs so I am not sure how or where they got this cat, she is nice though.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She may or may not be a Munchkin the breed. A breeder here can probably explain it better than me. She may just have the genetic mutation that causes the stubby legs... can't recall what it's called at the moment.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AddieBee

She may just have the genetic mutation that causes the stubby legs...
That's all the munchkins really are - cats that have been bred for that mutation. Where as other breeds are done through a lot of selective breeding for traits. (though your curls, folds, and odd/no fur cats are genetic mutations, too, a lot of those breeds have specific traits with them too - though I think they'll bred curls and folds on several different breeds)

A lot of associations don't even accept munchkins as breeds. Supposedly because it's a gross deformity?
It's no more radical than the persian face.