Abandoned Cat Had Kittens.

Paul K

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all my family was adopted by this beautiful kind gray cat. We noticed that she was pregnant. She would come into the house and explore trying to find a place to have her kittens. Since she was an outside cat she would eventually want to get back out. While we were away she had her kittens in our neighbors yard. Since coming back we have brought in (Meow gret) she would always answer to meow. and her kittens. We plan on getting her spayed once the kittens are 8 weeks. She is definitely in heat again this orange Tom keeps hanging around our porch. Her yowling was really bad the other night. She got out for an hour before we were able to get her back in by playing audio of kittens. I wasn't aware she would be able to get pregnant again so quickly. She hasn't been out since. This doesn't stop her from trying.

Here is a picture of of our kittens. Thanks for the advice.

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Im not sure what advice you wish. But what is apparent, if she was in heat anew and mated with the tom, she needs spaying as soon as you can arrange it. You cant wait to the usual 8 weeks age of kittens, because you will have another litter on hand. And this is unhelthy for her to have two litters tight.
She will almost surely be able to continue to nurse her kittens, but you can of course double guard and take home some goats milk or kmr, and gears, so you can handraise the kittens if necessary.
Just observe, kittens whom have moma, are often very reluctant to bottle. You must use either a needleless syringe, or possibly try with a little sponge - for example make up sponge... Kitten suckles from sponge and you drop on more with a dropper or this syringe...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Paul K

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you I will set up an appointment to get her spayed as soon as possible.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How old are the kittens? I cannot tell from the cute cuddle picture. It may be the spay/terminate needs to wait a couple of weeks.

Paul K

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The kittens will be three weeks tomorrow. We brought them in when they were one week. That's the time she was calling to the tom who continues to come around and stay by our back porch. She isn't allowed outside any more and really doesn't try to get out as much as she did that first week. I included new pictures. She has taken up residence under my computer desk we tried to set her up in boxes with blankets and low light in our living room just off the porch. She always returns them under the computer. We put the box under the computer. She rather have them on the floor outside of the box. The kittens are visibly bigger I will start weighing them as other posters have suggested. Thank you so much for your help!

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Her spay needs to wait 2-3 weeks. It will still be early enough to terminate.

Weights would be great. She's a beautiful cat and her kittens are adorable!

Thank you for rescuing her! :)

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you need help finding somewhere to spay her in a few weeks?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is an ASPCA clinic in Flushing. I would try there first!

Paul K

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IMG_1359.JPG
I have not seen anything about this maybe it normal. Our cat Princess Meow-gret will come get us to watch the kitten when she needs a break. We really enjoy this quality Tim with the kittens. Thought you might get a kick out of this.

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yeah, its quite common cat mommas wants their owner to participate in sharing the duties. At least, baby sit kittens when the momma must take a break.

Momma looks as a russian blue look alike? And why does she has two different collars, inside at that?

Paul K

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is a newly inside cat. She adopted us a few months ago. We took her in after she had the kittens. We put a flea collar on her when she started coming around. Just haven't taken it off yet.

Paul K

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Follow up question we have homes for all the kittens. There is no rush to give them to there new owners. We plan to keep them until completely weaned. My wife and I are curious how do the mother cats handle this separation?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please remove the flea collar. It has chemicals in it that are hazardous to kittens. In fact, no collar is safe on mom while the kittens are small. They can get a limb caught in it and suffer harm.

Kittens should stay with mom for 10-12 weeks for maximum social adjustment. If they are re-homed slowly - 1 or 2 at a time - the adjustment is easier for all. Breeders keep kittens for 16 weeks.

Mom can be spayed when her kittens are 8 weeks. Kittens can be spayed and neutered at 2 pounds.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Right, flea collars are often dangerous. Not ALL brands, I know the reputable Bayer has recently began to sell some sort of flea collar - the Serestro? but usually we do warn against most brands of flea and tics collars...

Use Advantage II, or even a extra small dose of Revolution if you need to deflease in a hurry.

Paul K

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok there were no fleas it was just a precaution. Since she was a outside cat. The collar has been removed.