Aarrggh!!! My cat ate my mouse!

evnshawn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Last week, I sat down at my PC and noticed my mouse wasn't working. Because we have a bajillion PCs, my mouse (and keyboard and monitor) are hooked up through a KVM switch, which is a box that allows you to use one keyboard/mouse/monitor for several computers. However, this switch is old and kind of hinky. Sometimes it craps out, and then I have to turn off all PCs connected to it, then turn off the switch itself, then turn the switch back on, then turn the PCs back on. So I did that. Nothing. Mouse still dead.

Okay, maybe one of the kitties unplugged it. They are always back behind my desk messing. So, I turned everything off—again—and made sure all connections (PC to KVM switch, KVM switch to mouse) were good and tight. They were. So, I turned everything back on and tried again. Nothing.

I began to get a little frustrated. One more try of turning everything off and on, only this time waiting a few minutes to make sure the KVM switch reset. STILL nothing. Gah!

By this time I was sick of messing around with the KVM switch and, more to the point, decided to take it out of the equation to see if it was the cause of the problem. So—mouse plugged directly into PC. No dice.

Now, mice don't suddenly fail. They get dirty and quit working right until you clean them, and the gears can get worn over time, but they don't usually work fine one day and then not work at all the next. Still ... I got in the closet where we keep all our old computer stuff and dug out a mouse that works about halfway because of the previously mentioned old, worn gears. It worked! It WAS my (much beloved ergonomic had-it-forever good ol') mouse.

Hmm. I examined the mouse itself. Nothing seemed wrong there. I examined the connections. No bent or missing pins. I started going down the cord ... what's this? Teeth marks? Oh, but that's just little dents in the outer plastic. It wouldn't—AARRGGHH!!!! Halfway down the cord, someone had bitten almost all the way through, down far enough to get to the actual wire that carries the signal.

I loved that mouse.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey at least you didn't step on icky mouse guts or have to wipe blood off the floor!

RIP poor mouse, it didn't die in vain - entertaining the kitties is a noble way to go!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't feel so bad I only have one belt that goes with my jeans and Bakker chewed several parts of it!!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i actually immagine that the cat ripped the mouse through the cage when i saw the title

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

evnshawn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yayi

Mmmm, I wouldn't be too sure it was a cat. Where's the proof?
Kitty bites around the tear in the cord. I'm pretty sure any court would concur based on that proof.

Not only that, I think I know who did it. Admittedly, my evidence for this is circumstantial. Whitey, who is generally the best behaved out of all the kittens and who generally (don't tell the others) is my favorite, has been messing with the cords under my desk for a few weeks now. None of the other cats seem to care about them, but I'm always having to pull him out from under there.

thecatsmeow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emmysamson

My guess is that it was the dog.
Maybe she was trying to save you from the mouse hurting you??? Or giving you a signal that it's time for a new mouse!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by maverick_kitten

anyone else think the story was going to be more gruesome?! lol
I thought so! I thought your cat actually ate your real live mouse!

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I thought this thread might be about a live mouse too. Poor mousey!
Chasey has attacked my mouse, but she has never killed it, fortunately.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Hydroaxe

I thought this thread might be about a live mouse too. Poor mousey!
Chasey has attacked my mouse, but she has never killed it, fortunately.
Yet.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oops! I thought it was going to be a real mouse - but when I think about it, a wired up mouse would be more dangerous! oh well.... I guess it's just time to get a new one eh?!

mom of 10 cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tybalt and I have lost numerous mice to our kitties. We now spray the cord with bitter apple. It works, but you have to re-apply it every so often.

jillian

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My middle cat, Graham, chewed through three of my mice before I wised up and got a cordless one. *sigh*

He's so freaking cute though... I couldn't stay mad.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
RIP favorite mouse!
i guess it is time to invest in a cordless mouse. I would lose in under all my papers!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm with the others on the real mouse bit.

anyhoo, I had a guinea pig that did that with a mouse. I wound up getting those cord ties (they're like $2 at any computer store) and tied everything together and to the desk. This help immensily.

I would definitely look into the cordless though, since they're a decent price now. Although she might play with the receiver in the end.