AAACK!- the bird people are out of control-AAACK!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
This is common among avid bird lovers. There are crazy parrot people, it is what it is. The only time they cause issues is if they become very vocal about TNR groups and try to stop them from caring for feral colonies.

Yes, I have heard complaints ring out loud and clear on the parrot site to those who try to rescue feral cats. I am still rubbing my sore behind from the last time I tangled with then on that topic.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
You should have suggested that if they really care about birds, and wild animals in general, they should stop driving their cars and eating meat.

Most birds that are killed or are in danger of becoming extinct are more at risk from habitat loss, collisions with man-mad objects, pesticides, climate change, fishing industries and lack of resources than they are by predation.

It's just a lot easier for people to blame cats than it is to think about the damage we have done to the earth with our lifestyles.

Cats and Birds | Are Cats Causing Bird Declines? - The RSPB

Total agreement- I have said to the members on the parrot site that if they really want to see an animal who is responsible for the dwindling bird population- look in the mirror.

As I recalled- that smart remark earned me a thirty day suspension- but it was worth it. ;)

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
What are the actual unbiased statistics?

I am not understanding your question. Do you mean the ones that state we are killing birds and just about every other species who is unlucky enough to have crossed our paths?

Here is an excerpt from one article in National Geographic, 2019

"No study has definitively linked cat predation to mainland bird population trends (though islands are another story). It’s difficult to isolate one factor for the widespread decline of many birds because numerous other variables are also at work.

“The status of the world’s birds continues to deteriorate, and even once common birds are vanishing,” says a recent report from BirdLife International. It cites agriculture and logging as today’s top threats to imperiled species and ranks introduced predators a distant third. In terms of trashing the planet, humans are plainly the worst offenders. And blaming cats only deflects our responsibility onto an animal with no concept of saving the world."

To save birds, should we kill off cats?

Dario the GreyCat

Owned by Dario since 10/09/2019
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wew lad. That's one of many reasons I've basically stopped going on that particular site. They're silly about all of the hysterics, to the point I never admitted that my family has outside cats. Only one who hunts and she's really good at killing mice. I'm sure I would have gotten banned if I spoke my mind there. I can think of several who would shame me for my cat, who pays zero attention to my birds and is afraid of my macaw. My bird VET even said it was fine since he was raised with them.

I will say, my mom's 21 year old, Mrs. Jackson, was a bird killer. She would do some incredible leaps and snatch them out of the air. I don't think she herself Baby Fred? Killed a mole once, meowed so everyone saw that he could indeed hunt, and never killed anything else again in his entire life. Mrs. Jackson is retired from hunting and just yells at everyone for either pets, treats or both.

I live in a 450 square foot tiny house with two birds and a cat. I just put Dario away when I want to let the birds out, thus why I'm turning my loft into a playroom. It's not as hard as what I was led to believe over there.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
What are the actual unbiased statistics?
The RSPB says that;

Despite the large numbers of birds killed by cats in gardens, there is no clear scientific evidence that such mortality is causing bird populations to decline. This may be surprising, but many millions of birds die naturally every year, mainly through starvation, disease or other forms of predation. There is evidence that cats tend to take weak or sickly birds.

Cats and Birds | Are Cats Causing Bird Declines? - The RSPB

By killing mice and rats cats may even be protecting birds, as small rodents attack baby birds in the nest and eat eggs too.

Or did you mean what are the statistics that bird numbers are declining because of people?

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Wew lad. That's one of many reasons I've basically stopped going on that particular site. They're silly about all of the hysterics, to the point I never admitted that my family has outside cats. Only one who hunts and she's really good at killing mice. I'm sure I would have gotten banned if I spoke my mind there. I can think of several who would shame me for my cat, who pays zero attention to my birds and is afraid of my macaw. My bird VET even said it was fine since he was raised with them.

I will say, my mom's 21 year old, Mrs. Jackson, was a bird killer. She would do some incredible leaps and snatch them out of the air. I don't think she herself Baby Fred? Killed a mole once, meowed so everyone saw that he could indeed hunt, and never killed anything else again in his entire life. Mrs. Jackson is retired from hunting and just yells at everyone for either pets, treats or both.

I live in a 450 square foot tiny house with two birds and a cat. I just put Dario away when I want to let the birds out, thus why I'm turning my loft into a playroom. It's not as hard as what I was led to believe over there.

They shame cat people over there.

I applaud what you have done in regards to all of your pets. I never cease to be amazed at how much of a natural you are around all animals- Dario being a good example.

All it takes is common sense to be able to make it work- let them all enjoy their freedom and play time, but not with one another.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
and how climate change is killing birds --

2015 - 2016 warm water in the ocean caused sea birds to starve

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
one more for you to share - wolves return to Yellowstone and in the middle of
the article

"The need for restoration was glaring. In the 70 years of the wolves’ absence, the entire Yellowstone ecosystem had fallen out of balance. Coyotes ran rampant, and the elk population exploded, overgrazing willows and aspens. Without those trees, songbirds began to decline," - The Guardian A rewilding triumph: wolves help to reverse Yellowstone degradation

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
good morning birders,
here's something new to consider.

Trump administration proposes rolling back law protecting migratory birds
By John Bowden - 01/30/20 10:56 AM EST 225

A new regulation set to be unveiled by the Interior Department would end most federal protections for migratory birds, allowing companies that accidentally kill such animals to not face punishments. …

When in effect, the rule change would allow companies that do not establish safeguards to prevent the deaths of migratory birds to avoid facing penalties, as only deliberate killings would now be considered actionable. The change would come as the agency has already largely stopped investigating such deaths under the Trump administration, according to the Times.

The Hill -- Trump administration proposes rolling back law protecting migratory birds

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
good morning birders,
here's something new to consider.

Trump administration proposes rolling back law protecting migratory birds
By John Bowden - 01/30/20 10:56 AM EST 225

A new regulation set to be unveiled by the Interior Department would end most federal protections for migratory birds, allowing companies that accidentally kill such animals to not face punishments. …

When in effect, the rule change would allow companies that do not establish safeguards to prevent the deaths of migratory birds to avoid facing penalties, as only deliberate killings would now be considered actionable. The change would come as the agency has already largely stopped investigating such deaths under the Trump administration, according to the Times.

The Hill -- Trump administration proposes rolling back law protecting migratory birds

Figures.:mad:

1580421286308.png

GreyLady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ive found in general, on specific fan base forums there are certain touchy subjects that people just JUMP on. It happens in this forum too... every one I've been on. If anything Im sure you were being helpful offering your personal experience and would have great tips how to keep cats and birds apart since nothing has happened your whole life. But some people are so fear-mongering they just dont want to take the chance.

Kind of reminds me of the indoor/outdoor cat debate which can get heated when people say it can be okay but depends on circumstances and then someone replies that its horrible advice because their cat got killed or a freind of a freinds cat did. Everyone knows it can happen but it doesnt mean it always will. People on this website are very well behaved and civil compared to others i have been on before, though. very well behaved :)

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Humans cause faaaar more death in birds and other animals in general, directly or indirectly. Faaaaaar more. It's really annoying how these people continue to even enjoy their entertainment (as we all do) and not just basic survival but force totally different standards to cats and even want to limit their basic rights and freedom.

I'm also wondering how this affects natural evolution and for which direction. You know there are cats everywhere in Istanbul and they suck at hunting birds - in my 34 years of life I have seen that a total of zero time. But also, I promise you some birds have "watchbirds" because of cats! Like the sparrows in my condo. They eat in large numbers on the pavement but there are always at least two on a bench looking around, and when they see a cat approaching they alert the other birds and they all fly back to the tree. Do all sparrows do that? Or is it a thing of some skills and intelligence are developed out of necessity thing? Which is typically a good thing.