Aa For Atheists And Agnostics

Rob81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know of an AA equivalent for atheists and agnostics? AA is a religious group, and that doesn't jive with me. Medicine and psychiatry have nothing to do with religion. I'm sorry, but that's a fact. A lot of people don't get help because of the lack (or complete non-existance) of non-religious AA groups.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I know a non-believer who got clean going to AA. Just use something else in place of higher power.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
How much of an AA meeting is actually devoted to religion? Just seems to me that you can take the benefit of what they offer and ignore the religion.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The most successful group I know of is AA. I don't see them as religious. Yes they talk about giving everything over to a higher power but I don't see that as necessarily a religious thing. A lot of people with addiction issues try to control everything which gets them into trouble. The idea of a higher power is a way to get people to realize that they cannot control everything and it isn't healthy to try. Religious people think of it as God non-religious people don't think of it as God. A belief in God is not the essential part, realizing that there are things that no one can control is the part that works.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
The most successful group I know of is AA. I don't see them as religious. Yes they talk about giving everything over to a higher power but I don't see that as necessarily a religious thing. A lot of people with addiction issues try to control everything which gets them into trouble. The idea of a higher power is a way to get people to realize that they cannot control everything and it isn't healthy to try. Religious people think of it as God non-religious people don't think of it as God. A belief in God is not the essential part, realizing that there are things that no one can control is the part that works.
So true, denice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rob81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How much of an AA meeting is actually devoted to religion? Just seems to me that you can take the benefit of what they offer and ignore the religion.
I have no idea. I've never been to one. LOL I know from anecdotal testimony that the religious factor can be nauseating.

My dad's ex wife is an alcoholic, and it seems like it's pretty religious according to her... Maybe that's more of a local phenomenon... I dunno. His ex wife was basically my mom from 9th grade onwards, and I clearly remember her being out of control, but for some reason it jived with me. I kinda grew up thinking getting hammered on the weekends was just what "grown-ups" do. I don't blame her for my current situation, I've made my own choices since I moved out at 18 years old. But, she definitely fed that instinct when I was young. That's for damn certain. As we all got older, I realized how toxic of a person she was, and I gradually distanced myself from her, until my dad divorced her. Then I cut all ties.

I dunno. I definitely have the addictive personality. I used to do a lot of stupid crap when I was younger. Acid, shrooms, ecstasy, K, you name it. That plus playing in bands opening for major label acts was definitely a recipe for disaster. I guess I've had it coming for a long time. LOL

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Although I'm not in your situation I am still sympathetic. Would it be helpful to talk to a therapist or social worker who specializes in addictions/addictive personalities? That way you wouldn't have to worry about the religious aspect.

Rob81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Although I'm not in your situation I am still sympathetic. Would it be helpful to talk to a therapist or social worker who specializes in addictions/addictive personalities? That way you wouldn't have to worry about the religious aspect.
Maybe. That's a solid idea...

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not just that, but 12-step programs in general don't work for a lot of people. There are other ways to get support for staying sober. There's a whole ton of debate on the subject, lol. Whatever works for the individual!

doomsdave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rob81 Rob81 , maybe the higher power is about more than one person caring what happens with you. I've known so many in my time with substance abuse problems. Most who really want to will lick them, but it's rarely easy.

If one approach doesn't work, try another, and keep trying.

And I for one, will pray for your success, even if I'm not religious, either. And I will risk assuming that the rest of us will, too.

I pray that helps!

Last edited:

Rob81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I believe there is something bigger than us out there somewhere in the universe, just not what Catholics, Muslims, or anyone else preaches. Just my opinion. We'll all find out in the end...

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dad's ex wife is an alcoholic, and it seems like it's pretty religious according to her.
Maybe the religious aspect is what she took from it so that she could deal with it all. IDK
All I can say is that being Agnostic myself, people speaking of or believing in God doesn't bother me, unless they're preaching it to me. Just change God for another higher power, use your health if you must, but give it a chance. Because without it, you may not have one.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I've been a traditional yoga teacher for over 25 years and have seen good results using yogic practices to deal with addiction. There's a spiritual connection, minus the dogma.
I'm in Australia so am unable to recommend anyone, but it could be useful for you.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It all depends on the group, some have more of a religious aspect than others. The only thing I can suggest is try one and see how it goes and if you don't like it move on.