A Waste Of Money?

inkxpencil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, I need your opinion on something. I've been debating buying Rory a cat tree for my apartment. She has already wrecked one of my brand new living room chairs is working her way on my couch. I bought her a cat scratcher but with her being a bigger girl its very tippy so she isn't a big fan of it. I tried out a lot of the scratchers and they were all to easily tipped. She doesn't like the cardboard ones.

I have a cat tree that I bought for Rory and Charlie at my parents house. I've had it for years and Rory has never touched it but Charlie loves it. (Charlie lives with my parents full time because I'm not allowed a male cat at my apartment even though he is neutered and Rory travels with me when I go to my parents.) Charlie is a more dominate cat, and I have read that that could be the reason why she doesn't use it.

I don't want to waste my money if she won't use it but I don't want her to wreck my furniture either. I've tried that tape stuff and she just found a spot that there wasn't tape and scratched there.

Thoughts?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No. I would say that they are 100% worth it. We have 3 cat trees and all get used. They do not claw the furniture at all. Cats love having vertical space to rest on plus it gives them a place to watch everything that's going on in the house. Lily is on the top platform of the big tree in thee living room right now. She's napping on it. Trees also give them lots of scratching posts. If any of mine give out, they will be replaced for sure. What size are you looking for? Chewy has good deals on them. I got mine from Amazon. They have a large inventory and some good deals.

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would say go for it. I have two cat trees for two cats (spoiled brats :redheartpump: ). They love to scratch at them, run up and down them, and nap in/on them. Best purchase I've made for them. I got mine on sale from Chewy, and it was the Frisco 72 inch tree for only $55! Look for deals and jump on them, I'm sure Rory will appreciate a cat tree.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats love ours. i have a few big boys, so we had a hard time finding one with platforms they would be comfortable on. we did ok, but still wish they were bigger. Mine use theirs all the time. And it saves my furniturem here is a link to the tree on chewy, i think amazon has it as well

GoPetClub 72-inch Cat Tree, Beige

they also love, and use this lounger a lot.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just a couple thoughts, you could try a scratcher that lies flat on the floor, or there's a new upright one that is quite heavy with a big base, ie, not tippy. The Big Guy isn't going for the new one yet but I'm trying the catnip, placing a toy on top of it etc enticements. Also, there's an additional perch that can be purchased for this particular unit which could be the ticket. Best of luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

inkxpencil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Chewy is a cool site but I'm Canadian and they don't ship here.

I have a hard time finding her platform that would fit her as well. They make these tiny little platforms that I don't think would fit many regular sized cats. I found one I liked at my local pet store it has three great sized platforms for her but they put some really cheap material on it. Theres no cushion to it at all and the material is so thin that if she scratched it once it would be done for.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Could you find somebody who would make one for you if you pay them for material and time? The nasty chemically glue-y smell would be a LOT less than the store bought ones (I'm half thinking this is why the Big Guy doesn't like his new one), you'll get what you need and want, and actual sisal rope isn't that expensive I don't think.

inkxpencil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I could try and find someone. That might cost even more money though. My biggest concern is that she won't use it. I don't want to spend tons of money if she won't touch it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't blame you - I don't think any woodworker would have a problem giving you an estimate. If you go this route, be sure and tell him/her to wrap the sisal really tight.
Edit; plus, that person might very well have access to sources for material which bring their costs down.
Best of luck!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about Amazon Canada? Amazon US has a huge variety of cat trees, hopefully the Candian site has a decent selection.

My cats definitely get my money's worth out of them!

Well, I looked up Amazon Canada and they seem to have enough to choose from:
Ugh that Amazon link only goes to the home page. I just typed "cat trees" in the search bar and found plenty.

kirathecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you put some time into encouraging your kitty to use it, you both will be quite happy) use catnip, toys and treats to teach her to use it. Might want to check out scratchers from these brands: ultimate scratching post, the purrfect post, topcat. Or look into wall mounted scratchers. And i found my cat did best when learning to scratch the post and not furniture this way: he would start scratching the couch, i’d say ‘no’, and take him to the scratcher.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They can be expensive, which is why I had my boyfriend get me mine as a Christmas present, but Lelia looooooves it. She spends at least half her time on it.

As far as tippy scratchers go, I stuck a corner of it under my dresser like so:
20180127_211138_Burst01.jpg

That keeps it stable enough for Lelia to be happy using it. I have to readjust it ever so often, but it's worth it so long as it gets lots of use.

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is your cat overweight or has physical reasons that justify why she isn't into climbing? does she go on counters and stuff? For me cat trees are an obligate piece of furniture when one has a cat, but sometimes it's not set in the right spot. Also she needs to feel secure on it, so maybe something pretty wide, not like a solo post that's dangerous. Chewy delivers in the US, but I'm sure you have other websites in CA... Like Amazon. I got mine for 70 bucks on Amazon and it's awesome.

inkxpencil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is overweight. She has a hard time getting up high of surfaces. I'm looking to get one that the first level is low to the ground and will allow her to get to the high levels easily. I've been checking Amazon, the hard part I've been finding is that its hard to see how big they really are.

She loves to get on the counter. She uses a chair, gets on the table and then the counter. She can't get on the counter or table without the chair though.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A lot of commercially available cat trees just aren't big enough or sturdy enough for an adult cat, especially a bigger one. There are some that attach to the ceiling which might make them feel safer for her. Or maybe your girl would like a scratcher lounge. They're lower to the ground and have plenty of scratching surface which doubles as a comfy place to nap. Personally, I don't have room for a good cat tree, so I have a Smart Cat Ultimate scratching post. It's well made and sturdy enough for my big boy to use without tipping it.

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are you trying to have her lose weight? Because if she jumps off if it too high she can get severe injuries I’m guessing

inkxpencil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, she has been on a weight loss plan for years. She is finally starting to slowly loose the weight. My vet was quite happy with the weight loss when she saw her a few weeks ago. She still has a lot to go but at least it's a start. I don't want anything super high for that reason.

I can't mount anything to the wall or ceiling since I am renting. I'll have to check my local pet store and see if they have a Smart Cat Ultimate scratching post. There was this big scratching post that I saw, but I could knock it over with the smallest amount of pressure. Right now I have her little scratching post half under the couch. I put it directly where she has been scratching and she has been using it. But if the couch wasn't there she would knock it over.

I'm searching Amazon right now. Hopefully I will find something that works for her. They need to make more cat trees for adult cats. Kittens are only babies for a short time.

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There are a lot of cat trees out there, Amazon has them. It takes some searching but I remember seeing beasts for not that much money considering their size. Check Armakat

kirathecat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, she has been on a weight loss plan for years. She is finally starting to slowly loose the weight. My vet was quite happy with the weight loss when she saw her a few weeks ago. She still has a lot to go but at least it's a start. I don't want anything super high for that reason.

I can't mount anything to the wall or ceiling since I am renting. I'll have to check my local pet store and see if they have a Smart Cat Ultimate scratching post. There was this big scratching post that I saw, but I could knock it over with the smallest amount of pressure. Right now I have her little scratching post half under the couch. I put it directly where she has been scratching and she has been using it. But if the couch wasn't there she would knock it over.

I'm searching Amazon right now. Hopefully I will find something that works for her. They need to make more cat trees for adult cats. Kittens are only babies for a short time.
It’s great that she is using her scratcher! It might be best to look for a cat tree at a store that displays them assembled so you can touch it, get an idea of its sturdiness and size of platforms/levels and then see if you can find the same or similar online for less. Wherever you buy don’t forget to check all dimensions (total height - not too tall; dimensions of the base - the bugge the better; and dimensions of the levels (sometimes those are made stupidly small, so you’d want to make sure they will work for your cat).

BTW, my first cat tree did not really fit the size of my cat and wasn’t particularly sturdy but we put it in the corner, so it was surrounded by walls on two sides. It took a bit convincing but my cat eventually learned it was not a death trap and enjoyed it.
And we did the same thing with the couch with the very first scratcher (it was super flimsy).

They should have Ultimate scratching post on amazon and it’s relatively cheap (for the size and quality).

Good luck and happy shopping!

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
Ultimate scratching post is a great scratching post. I keep one in my bedroom and my cat, Freya, uses it regularly. It also has a platform that can be installed on top of it, to turn it into a sort of cat tree. Freya likes the platform, but they have some issues (expensive, a bit fiddly, not as durable as one might like, and too small for larger cats.)

As to actual cat trees, they are fine, but ugly as sin, take lots of space, and most are poorly designed and constructed. Freya never liked hers. I replaced the tree with a couple of window sill platforms (one she can use to get on and off the top of a bookcase, which she loves) and Freya and I are both happier for it.