A very vocal kitten... why?

deanne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a cat who talked and howled, a lot, too. I understand your frustration with it. Spotty lived to be 18 years old and I swear sometimes, she even talked in her sleep. She would deliberately go into a different room and YOWL for me to come in to pay attention to her. My only possible solution is to not reward her for the behavior. When she's talking, ignore her. Only pay attention to her when she stops talking to you. Granted, this didn't work on Spotty.... I just learned to live with the noise. I wish I could hear it again. Spotty has been gone for two years.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
GoldenKitty45 said:
I love siamese/orientals, but how do you all put up with the constant talking of more then one?

QUOTE]

As you can see from my siggie we have 2 Siamese - neither of them talks much. In fact they hardly talk at all.

yorkiegal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cleo (11 weeks old) is very vocal. She talks to me all the time, especially if she's bored. When she wakes up from a nap she has a different cry and always jumps up and snuggles on my neck and purrs like mad. Then she has a different squeak when it's time to find the litter tray, which comes in very handy if she's confused about where it is as i have time to find her and put her in it. Her sister went to live with a friend of mine and apparantly she never makes any noise and never purrs. I guess it's all down to personality. I love having a chatty cat in the home again. My old lady Tabitha has always been very quiet to the extent that the first few days after she met Cleo, everytime she hissed or growled at her it made her cough.

smilla

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hayleym72

my cat is 2 and NEVER shuts up! he is like a grumpy old man and does nothing but "talk" all day long!! it appears he isnt vocalling nice meows more or less it sound like complaining and bitching! whereas my other kitty when she does that it is more of a living i need you sound. im not sure why the other one complains so much this is something ive been trying to figure out myself!
Hahaha! My cat is like that. He's always muttering about something. After he eats he likes to come and sit by me and chatter and mutter at me for about five minutes. He also tells me off if I do something he doesn't approve of. If I ignore him when he's talking he turns his back on me and sulks.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well as you can see I have a moggie and she is talkative but I don't really mind she's good company. It sounds like your kitty just wants to love you. And it could be possible that she is in heat if there is an intact male around cats will stay in heat for longer periods of time the reason I know this my mom never gets her cats fixed much to my dismay and I lived with her for a short stint and she had 3 or more sometimes, female cats and none of them was fixed and she had a couple of toms and they were constantly in heat and making babies. And my cat before I got her fixed she went in heat and she when in heat one month went out and the next month she was in heat again I ended up having to get her fixed while she was in heat because we couldn't seem to catch her out of heat. And siamese cats and other orientals tend to be talkative but others like egyptian maus (sp) are vocal as well and it sounds like you just have a talkative cat. And honestly if you could find her another kitty maybe a rescued purebred because there are tons of them out there then she might not be so dependant on you. And I am not even going to give my opionion on the being outside deal because I am firmly against it and I do realize other people don't nessacarily feel the same way as me. Just please if you have her outside have an outdoor enclosure for her. It really is the safesty thing you can do for her. But honestly she sounds to me like she wants to be with her furmom and just wants to love on you. If I was you I would be grateful for that. JMO. And if I stepped on any toes please forgive me I am a bit too outspoken at times but I really do have your cats best interest at heart.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Deanne

... My only possible solution is to not reward her for the behavior. When she's talking, ignore her. Only pay attention to her when she stops talking to you. ....
That's excellent advice.
Originally Posted by Deanne

...I just learned to live with the noise. I wish I could hear it again. Spotty has been gone for two years.
...and that's an excellent attitude.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

callygirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tavia'smom Thank you for being respectful about my reasoning not to have a cat kept inside a house for all its life

I shall look into getting another kitten some time soon. Here in New Zealand, it isnt the breeding season so not many kittens will be around right at the moment.

Regards,

Rebekah.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is fine that you let your cat outside. I let mine out too sometimes to sit on the back patio when I am out there with them. The only problem is that doing this when she is perfectly capable of becoming pregnant is a big of a risk. Just please keep close eye on her. I am sure you do, but something could suddenly get her attention and she could take off. Or a big mean male could come along and chase after her and in the panic she takes off or any animal could come along anyways. Just please be careful until she is spayed.

About your problem with her being talkative. She is either in heat or just talking and wanting your attention. So spaying will definately help. I cannot remember what you said on her being spayed status, I know I commented before but it is slipping my mind right now. But anyways, as someone else suggested, you can keep her in a dimly lit room with soft music to relax her. That is really about it.

Good luck!!