A thread for our 'disabled' kitties

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Fred was about 7 years old, he got out and crawled up into the fan shroud of the car, and not knowing, my SO cranked the car. Thankfully it was one of those fans that would stop when something was caught in it, but he got a couple good spins and my SO had to turn the fan backward to get him out. He dropped off on the ground, unconcious, and my SO put him in the carrier and woke me out of a dead sleep screaming " I think I killed Fred!" I jumped up, grabbed my clothes and got them on just in time to see Fred walk out of the carrier shaking his head and looking confused. He wanted to eat, but we took him on to the vet. He checked Fred over and said nothing was broken, he had a fat lip, and a big bump on the head. He was never quite right after that. He would walk one way, then he would leap 4-5 feet in the air and walk off in whatever direction he came down in, even if it happened to be a corner, then we would have to turn him around to get him out of the corner and put him back in the right direction. He would shake his head, have seizures, and just be generally goofy. He was the biggest lovebug ever, though, and tough as an old shoe. He was my alpha and protector of the household and neighborhood kitties. I saw him several times attack a big dog to protect a kitten.
Pearl was abused before I got her and has never been right. She will hide for months, then she will come out and demand attention. She has been in that phase lately. It's great!

badninjakitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't have any special cats but my DH had a dachshund that had to have his spin completely fused. Tito had a wonderful life with no major problems, until he got really old. Then, arthritis set into his spine. It got so bad that it actually broke poor Tito's spin again. My In-Laws released him from his pain. (thankfully)

I loved reading all of your stories! I am a sucker for a sob story!
It is good that I don't work at a vet's office or a shelter--I would come home with all of them!
God bless you all for all of your love and compassion!! Keep up the good work!!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I got a call from my mother in law regarding a kitten they had that was born there at the clinic, possibly blind and with a chronic URI.
They had tried putting her by herself with another cat that had lost her litter but was still lactating.
She simply wasn't thriving though.
They decided she'd be better off in a home environment.
So I agreed to take Ivory and her foster mom (Cassi).

She was a pathetic, sickly little thing, 4 months old and the size of a two month old.
Cassi had been spayed and dried up, so I started bottle feeding her.
She gained weight, but her URI just wouldn't clear up.
It was decided then to remove her worst eye, as it was bulbous and putting pressure on her sinus cavity.
She was a completey different kitty after that.
She simply thrived and eventually refused any more bottle feedings.
Her URI cleared up in less than a week after her surgery.

After all that early babying, she's the most independant cat we have now, weighing in at a whopping 17 pounds as of her second birthday.

This was the day after her eye was removed

This was taken about a month after her sugery

And this is my big girl now