A tale of tails

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my four years on TCS I have repeatedly read the various behavior of cat's tails and what it means. The most prominent assertion is that when a cat wags its tail it is annoyed; certainly not happy like a dog. Whereas this may be true 99% of the time, it is NOT true when it comes to Alley Cat.

Although Alley hangs out on the third floor all day except for her excursions down to the first floor where the Buddha dome and food supply are kept in separate rooms, once in a while during her excursions she will stop at the head of the stairs on the second floor to stare at whoever is there but then proceed to her abode where she spends 95% of her time on the third floor where the bedrooms are.

When I come up to go to bed I usually read a book for a while since DW comes up later. Alley immediately appears on the bed and crawls up on my chest, pushing the book away so that I have to hold it away with one arm. She then continues to nudge her way up until her mouth is directly under my chin and begins to drool (slobber) with happiness and begins wagging her tail like a dog. She continues to drool and wag her tail (not twitch) until I finally put the book down when DW arrives and roll over on to my side at which point she gets down on the bed and her tail quits wagging and she quits drooling.

For Alley, I firmly can see that when she is extremely happy, she wags her tail despite what all the cat tail movement descriptions say here on TCS and other places. General rules just do not apply to all situations and I can firmly state with conviction that when she wags her tail she is so happy.

Do I have the only cat that defies the general belief of cats' tails? There must be somebody else here that experiences the same kind of affection.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nope, you're not alone! My Callie cat is the same way. Her tail wags and gently swishes back and forth when she's extremely content and happy. I have a suspicion that Tumbleweed is the same way as I've seen him wagging his tail when he's content and happy as well. It's a very gentle back and forth motion, much like a light branch waving back and forth in a gentle breeze.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'll add Stumpy to the list, but you must realize that Stumpy is so named because he only has half of a tail. I found him as a baby with the end chopped off. When a cat's tail is short like his, it doesn't have the natural flexibility of a full length tail. If it comes in contact with me (for example when he walks by my legs rubbing his body length against me), his tail feels like it jabs me, rather than ever being able to wrap around me. When he wags it, it looks like someone shaking a finger back and forth. It's totally stiff and rigid.

Perhaps it's because he doesn't have a normal tail that he uses it in ways that are not normal for a cat. It never twitches when he is annoyed - he squints his eyes those times. Rather, he wags it back and forth when he is happy, or excited by something. For example, he absolutely loves "his" dogs and he'll wag his tail as he approaches them. He'll wag his tail when I feed him treats. When he plays with the other cats, he'll hold it off to one side of the other, but doesn't wag it back and forth. Sometimes I wonder if the other cats understand this body language of his. Probably not.

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can add Da Lip to the list; his tail is never still. It flips idly when he is content, a bit faster when he is really in purr mode. He also 'beats' me about the head with it when he is watching me play puter games - really annoying when it flips across my eyes. If he is not happy, the whole tail lashes. The real oddities are the two with curled tails - the happier they are, the tighter the tail curls until it is flat against their backs.

kitty2cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've read that thumping tails is an angry sign, but wagging tails is often an indication of curiosity or happiness. I don't judge by the tails, I judge by the face. Cat eyes are strangely expressive. If my kitty gives me that squinty eyed look, I know he is on the verge of doing something bad, and if he opens his eyes a little wider than normal, I know he is about to come and ask for a cuddle.

My cat might thump his tail in anger at his brother for breathing while at the same time purr happily because I am petting him. Cats have complicated emotions and I don't pretend to understand them.

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, Holland too. She will wag her tail when she's happy. It's when her tail more like twitches and/or thumps that I know not to touch her.

Alley sounds like such a sweetie!!

Another tail thing - my SIL's cat Gracey seems to ALWAYS have her tail up in "flagpole" position when I see her. Holland never does this. Gracey is lovey and wanting to be petted when her tail is up. Is that normal?

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kitty2cat

Cat eyes are strangely expressive.
Holland's pupils get very big when she's in "play" mode. She has the slim pupiled "cat-eye" when she is calm. And I just admonished her earlier (
yeah, right) for giving me her "stink-eye", which usually means she's watching me but doesn't want me to touch her. I can also tell in her eyes when she is interested in something outside. I definitely agree, cat's eyes are VERY expressive.