A such thing as too old for birthdays? Do you agree?

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are right. Guess it was selfish of me to think about what I want to do on my special day!

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Birthdays are the best and I think you're never to old for a birthday my nana is 63(I'm sure it's 64 but she keeps telling me it's 63
) this year and we party every year!!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Amber send me your address. If someone needs a card on their 21st it's you!.

I'm 45, and i can still act as if i'm 25!

Every birthday, i always go out with close friends one night, then have a night out with people who i work with to celebrate it.

I'd go in a huff if no one remembered my birthday(October 29th, you lovely people!!).LOL

Seriously, send me your address.

Susan (Just realised, i'm old enough to be your mother Aaaaaaaaaaargh!)

tulip2454

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your never to old. Birthday are a celebration of who you are - that dont go away does it!!!!!!!!!!!

My mum still buys me a present every year - the next one is the big 50 - I am SO looking forward to it. Total liberation at that age - a real celebration

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bill is 59 today and I'm making sure that he has some recognition. I have a gift and a card for him. On my way home from work, I'm going to pick up a small cake, just for the two of us. I'll take him out for a nice dinner, on Saturday.

My dad turned 77, last month and I gave him a nice card and a restaurant gift card. Mom gets a card and something suitable- a knickknack, sweater or T-shirt. She will be 68 this year. You're never too old.

Our big family blowout will be for the twins' first birthday, in April. Sam's family is large and Hispanic so, there will be lots of good food and pinatas. The twins will be too young to take a whack but, they have lots of cousins, on Sam's side.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I guess I think you're never too old, if you WANT to celebrate. I also think people should respect others' wishes if they don't want to make a big deal out of it. Yayi, there is nothing wrong with wanting to spend a nice, quiet birthday with the ones who give you love every day, namely your kitties.
But it should be what you want, not what someone else wants to do.

As for me, I could honestly care less about celebrating my birthday. I have moved house twice on my birthday. Woohoo - let's celebrate.
My mother always sent me a card, but now that she's gone...well, Dad just isn't very good with dates.
He'll usually call the weekend after saying he remembered, just was really busy. Which is fine, I know he is! Like Fran, I don't really like cake, although Earl generally insists on getting one and has so far totally ignored my requests for a cookie-cake (giant cookie decorated with icing). I think it's because he LOVES cake and knows I will eat maybe a piece or two and he gets the rest.

Earl, on the other hand....you had BETTER remember his b-day, get a cake and shower him with prezzies.
One of my good friends insists that March is her birth-month and must be pampered all month!
(That applies mostly to her hubby but has turned into a big joke with her friends too.)

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Heidi - I kind of agree with you. Gary hates celebrating his birthday, but people who love you sometimes REALLY want to celebrate the fact that you were born. So I respect his wishes to a degree. I'd never throw him a surprise party, but I always let him know I'm damn happy he was born.

Personally, I think you're never too old to celebrate birthdays however it pleases you to celebrate. I see it as a celebration of life to be shared with those you love and care for. I've never celebrated getting older, and I've never celebrated that one more year has passed. I celebrate that I'm alive, and I see our birthdays as the marker to remind us to say thanks for that.

If people are into big parties - go for it at 10, 40 or 90 I say!

Heidi - you may not care that you're turning a year older, but believe me I care that you were born!
(And I'm sure I'm not alone).

BTW - Gary has a very interesting take on the birthday thing. He hates celebrating because he hates being reminded that he's getting older. Personally, I think his solution is a bit morbid, because I'd rather feel older than focus on how many years I have left to live - but males in the US live on average 74.2 years (or whatever it is). So at 38, he started "counting down." He was 37 again. At 39, he celebrated 36. So at 40, he was celebrating 35, etc. He started counting down after the "halfway" point, LOL! He calls it "clearing the cake." And the way it looks at it - any year after 1 (74) is a "bonus year" to be thankful for, and you get to celebrate by having no candles to blow out! I pointed out you have to have the candle to get your birthday wish - and his thoughts are that after 1 you can have as many candles as you want - and if you don't have enough breath to blow out one candle for the wish, you can opt for a flashlight.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
BTW - I loved Gary's solution to the "candle problem." I didn't have to be reminded of the years because he found candles that say "I love u" (with a heart as the "love"). That was cool.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh - sorry! One more thing. For those who don't like cake - go for cake alternatives! My dad's a diabetic and doesn't do deserts. But he loves my mom's homebread bread and homemade applesauce. So every year for his birthday he gets homemade bread (with candles
) and applesauce. Don't do cake just because other people expect it! Sticking with my theme, I see birthdays as a way to celebrate the fact that you're alive, so pick out something you want to celebrate with! And if you hate deserts altogether, but love Quiche or something - have a birthday quiche for dinner.

pollyanna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Birthdays are always imortant in my family, weather it´s my 17 year old siters birthday or my 53 year old mum. The family always gets together and has some cake and celebrates. There´s not even nececarey to invite them to the little celebration, they just arrive! So, the one having birthday better have some cakes ready

I really like having birthday. There is one day a year that´s mine, and I really feel it´s my special day, and I alway enjoy it and try to make it as special as possible. In my family we aslo get woken up on our birthday by a burning cake (with all the candles on them
) and some presents, so other people in my family try to make each others birthdays as special as possible.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gothic_amethyst

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by rosiemac
Amber send me your address. If someone needs a card on their 21st it's you!.

I'm 45, and i can still act as if i'm 25!

Every birthday, i always go out with close friends one night, then have a night out with people who i work with to celebrate it.

I'd go in a huff if no one remembered my birthday(October 29th, you lovely people!!).LOL

Seriously, send me your address.

Susan (Just realised, i'm old enough to be your mother Aaaaaaaaaaargh!)
You're sweet! *blushes*

I'm the same way! I'm 20, but when I get older I'm not going to let myself act it! I want to stay 'young' and be able to enjoy life...well atleast on the inside! Physically our bodies give out!

That sounds fun! If I have to work on my birthday this year maybe after work my coworkers and I can go out and do something. This year I'm not going to let my birthday pass without doing something!

lol....Check ur PMs.

Well I dont think that age makes you old! So you're not!
But I'm sure you'd be a nice mother!

pollyanna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey what a great idea! Amber, could you send me your address as well? It seems you are behing in Birthday wishes, thats a thing that needs to be worked on!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally posted by Gothic_Amethyst
I'm 20, but when I get older I'm not going to let myself act it! I want to stay 'young' and be able to enjoy life...well atleast on the inside! Physically our bodies give out!

Well I dont think that age makes you old!
Right on. Birthdays are not about age (well, for most of a person's life, they're not). They're about celebrating life.

I rather like Rob's perspective on age and getting older, etc. He (who just had his 60th) proclaims that when grows up he wants to be a little boy. (How will I know if he's still a little boy or all grown up and achieved his goal
)

gothic_amethyst

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Pollyanna
Hey what a great idea! Amber, could you send me your address as well? It seems you are behing in Birthday wishes, thats a thing that needs to be worked on!
Check your Pm box too! You all are too sweet!

gothic_amethyst

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by rapunzel47
Right on. Birthdays are not about age (well, for most of a person's life, they're not). They're about celebrating life.

I rather like Rob's perspective on age and getting older, etc. He (who just had his 60th) proclaims that when grows up he wants to be a little boy. (How will I know if he's still a little boy or all grown up and achieved his goal
)
I've always been that way about age. I just dont see the point in feeling old just because you are. There's way too much things to experiance in life!

lol! I'll probably be that way too when I'm older! Hopefully I wont confuse anyone!