a stray i took in and her kittens

saphris25

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
so ive had her since the very end of novemeber. her kittens are midway through week 1 and 2.
while birthing i noticed two came out MUCH larger than the rest. and growing, many of the kittens have upped and downed, but the two large ones have more body structure to them. they are both boys (the litter is 4 boys and 2 girls).
these two are double the length and size of the runt in the litter, and no others come close to their growth (they arent really fat compared to the others either).
ive also noticed these two are the only solid white with black spots on them (the others have most to all black on them).
momma is mainly black too.
theres also a neighbors cat that he lets out at night that is a maine coon and has sprayed at my door a few times since. (there are many other cats roaming this complex) .
but is this something that happens or could happen if a few maine coons are in a litter with non maine coon cats?
(abby-my other cat- is spayed and mostly maine coon(and slightly persian) so im familiar with the maine coon breed.

their personalities are diffrent from the others too. both of them love their bellys rubed (if thats what- with one finger -could be called).
and they also came over where i was sitting on the floor and tried to climb up on me and then once i held them in my arms they purred and fell asleep. (ive had this "problem" with the escapees since the first night they were born lol- poor cassie will just be like "hey you! get my runaways and bring them back to me." in her mews and looks at them and me-since then she gets more of a "there they go again, oh i give up! theyll come back when they want food"(or cry lol)
anyways, if i didnt see them be born then i would wonder if they even all came from the same litter at the same time. the others are moving but dont leave the nest.

i named them domino and dalmah and i joke now with "uh oh here comes the domino train!" cause they looke like little subway trains slithering their way out of the nest and out around me (or cassie if she left them alone) lol

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Interesting.  Pics are always welcome and makes such speculating easier!

We have two essentially possibilities:

1. these two do have a different father then the others.

2. They simply got another gene combination than the others. 

Taking totally another, but somewhat parallell example:  If a mom, any description, but being a carrier of the point gene, do meets another cat, any description but also being carrier of the point gene...

And voilá! in the litter of 6, we get 1-2(3) pointed kittens, look alikes an old type siamese...

Seemilingly totally different from the siblings, yet - their natural, 100% true, brothers and sisters of the same flesh and blood.

Yours CAN be some similiar gene combination, who behaves in the same way.

We do wait for pics!

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, a female in heat will draw toms from all around. Sometimes half a dozen of them will fight over her and mate with her. Not exactly romantic, but then cat mating never had any romance to it! So who knows, her kittens could have two different fathers... or three, or conceivably six, though I think that would be pretty rare.

Ditto on the pics! Kitten cuteness is always welcome.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saphris25

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:-)
well i already moved my pics from my phone over to the computer of when they were first born (the 'zilla ones were bigger than my extended hand and fingers). the others were more palm sized.
but heres a current pic of them tho. *goes to take a pic* :-)

the next largest one from the white ones is the one up on Cassie thats all stretched out up there lol. i keep trying to get their faces and bodies together for an accurate comparison but the white ones are either bunched up or the others are in a huddle on top of them lol
and theyve all gotten done with eating and 5 out of 6 are hiccuping lol

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they're all the same color they probably have the same father. . .there's always one or two in a litter who are bigger and stronger than the others, same as there's always one who's smaller. Pretty normal. Just make sure the big guys aren't bullying the little guys out of their due share of milk :D.