A Some What Feral Cat

Mama to the crew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi I would love some advice on helping Ace to come around. He a roughly nine month old pure black rescue from a colony that was abandon by its care giver. From what we can gather the cats were allowed indoors and all knew how to use the litter box even the babies. They at least had some handling as several are very friendly or warmed up quickly. We started traping and relocating in late June early July with everyone gone by end of July.

Ace came home on the 5 of July he was one of the ones needing trapped of my group I'd say Harley Ami and possibly Andi needed traped. From day one he wouldn't have a thing to do with humans great with the cats though. On that location we debated if he was feral or had been hurt by humans maybe both we'll never know. he loves to be talked to. He doesn't run unless you get to close. He very watchful ands more then willing to share space as long as it's clear your not after him. When he first came Ace was very quiet only making chirping like sounds to call the others to him as he was scared. Unfortunately the majority of the six we originally took in had uri and needed antibiotics and so I had to handle him daily which he wasn't ready for. He never fought me once I had him traped and again as long as he knew I wasn't after him he was happy to share space with me. He was fixed on the 10 of July were for some unknown reason he and Harley had to be netted in order to be fixed that still bugs me as I can't figure it out I mean for five day I'd been completely hands on with these guys and they never hurt me nor did they bolt out of their crate when I needed to confine them. They really should have been to scared. Since returning although Harley had no side effects Ace became a lot more vocal and violent you so much as walk into the cat room he started hissing and growling you got close he would strike out at you. It wasn't until August that you could walk into the room without some type of fit. It took me going in and sitting on the floor ignore him and playing with the others letting him settle before trying to talk to him. Throughout August and September he still reacted if you got to close but he also didn't like being ignored and will give a whiny growl like sound until you talk to him.

Since he no longer has uri and only needs once a month dose of revolution i'm trying not to push him except on med days which is a battle in its self. I've been letting him see that the others like and trust me hoping that they would bring him to me like Ally had tried to do with the boys when they first arrived unfortunately being given meds did'nt help her goal and then she decided she liked getting most of the attention lol. We ended up taking in one more from their colony (Andi) and a kitten from a completely different colony (Sierra). This has really helped Ace to be more confident in himself he no longer growling let's you get very close to him before decides if he plans to move or not. He leaves the cat room more often for longer periods of time. He willing to get closer to my dad then me as of now and I think that's because dads a non threat to him as he can't move that fast. Ace will hiss and swipe at you when pushed but there no claws out anymore.

So what can I do to help him become friendlier? He doesn't need to be a lover but at least comfortable with handling. I absolutely hate having to trap him and distract him while sneaking the revolution on him. It's awful first I have to get him in the crate which means a chase and last time I had to trap him in the tunnel then dump it and him in the crate slowly wiggle him loose and pull the tunnel out. He gets both scared and angry over this so i then got a spiting fighting cat that I got to get focused on one hand while sliping the syringe against his neck lucky I've gotten quick on hitting the plunger and it's over before he notices. I can't take him to the vet like this and he didn't get his shots because of his uri. I really don't like over doing meds at one time. So Ace does need to go in soon for both a check up and shots and a better ageing guess. He is the only one we can't handle at all. Ami makes you chase her but once caught she fine with being handled just not a lover never has been completely opposite to her sister who a lover and cuddler. I fully believe Sierra who currently Ami best friend while bring her around more. Andi been here two weeks and I've been letting her choose how close I can get once she allowed some closeness and interest I started pushing petting and so far I've gotten one freebie pet as she was in the middle of the others that wanted affection and like Harley she highly food driven so I've gotten several strokes on her back as she eats and she very willing to lick fingers or be pushy if it means food. Ace isn't food driven at all even with wet he won't come near it if he thinks it's been tainted or means I'm going to pet him. He likes toys but won't go near them if your playing. I did get him playing with the laser but lately that a no go. He likes playing hide and Seek with me but that's only when he knows I'm not looking for him. I'm just really stuck on what to do to help him come around. I'm I doing the right thing by not pushing him? Should I buy some leather gloves and start traping him to push him harder? Is there something more tempting then can food that I should try? He doing great health wise been clear of uri for three months now. When he first came he was 5.3 pounds and last month was 10 pounds nice shiny coat he grown to. I really want to find out his age because I wonder if he couldn't be younger then we thought and might actually be Ally kitten from an older litter. He behaves a lot younger then he looks. Ami from Ally last litter looks a lot older then she actually is so I just wonder if Ace could be like that.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There is a place up in Canada that has been working with feral cats and they have developed some very interesting handling techniques. For a new "intake" cat they to do a medical assessment, treat ears and give meds including Revolution. The person doing the process sits on the floor with several blankets and essentially makes a tent with an opening towards the carrier or trap. The front of the carrier is put in the tent opening and then a blanket or cloth is slowly removed from the back of the carrier. This leaves the cat exposed so it moves towards and finally into the tent which is then collapsed as the carrier is removed. So the cat is enveloped in the blanket on the persons lap. They then start petting the cat through the blanket. Almost all of the wild cats, never been handled, just shut down and don't move. As long as their head and a large part of their body is covered they stay quiet. The person doing the processing slowly uncovers areas they need to work on, like an ear. So they will have just the one ear sticking out and they clean it and medicate it, cover it back up and then do the other ear. When they are finished the slowly move the blanket back until the cat is sitting there uncovered and they leave them there until they feel that feral panic to hide come into play and they run off to a hiding place. It is a very gradual process, never any stress, they get everything done they need to and the cat discovers its actually not a bad experience.
Here is a video of one of their more wild cats.
And here is another video of the same cat as the person works on first grooming him and finally petting him.
I tried to find the video of them using the blanket technique but couldn't find it. They have a lot of videos. There is a whole series just on Mason.
Anyway, it might give you some ideas on things to try.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So, this is now December. I have had this tab open since the first post and was looking to close it and a few others but first I was wondering if there has been any progress.
I am also surprised there hasn't been anyone else chiming in but I suppose that happens.
And finally I had one more thought, if you are still struggling with the cat maybe you should try isolating him so his only contact is with you. He is getting comfort from the other cats and initially that is good but now he needs to have his support group taken away so he can only interact with you. Although by nature most cats are solitary animals they do need a certain amount of interaction with other living things. He might warm up faster if he can't hide behind the others and has to deal with only human contact. If your still having problems it might be worth a try.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mama to the crew

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi it suprised me to that more haven't jumped on this to. There not been much change since i started this. He comes out more and has started to play a bit with dad not much but some. We have gotten to pet him a bit. We've steped back and now when he gets close enough we make a point to touch him he gives you an ugly look for it but hopefully over time he'll grow acostum to us touching him. Right now he still grumpy if you get close