A soft poop every few days, normal?

DanielleRose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 8 month old male British Long Hair, he was neutered nearly 3 weeks ago now.

He usually does one poop a day these are normal with the exception of one 2 days after his neuter which had some mucus on it, I took him to the vet and they said if its a one off it could be a symptom of his neuter and were not concerned. This hasn’t happened again. In the 2 months I have had him there have been a couple of occasions where its been 48 hours between normal poops rather than 24 hours

For the past week or so every 2/3 days my cat will do a perfectly normal poop and then a little while after so a really soft one, its still a normal colour with no blood or mucus. He urinates fine around 3-4 times a day. The first time it happened I reported it to the vets who said if the poop didn’t return back to normal the next time he goes bring him in but it did, the next day was normal.

He is fed wet food only, three pouches a day. He is otherwise healthy and happy and playing etc as normal. Sometimes I will put down a little extra food and I add a small amount of water to it. I am wondering if the soft poop could be caused by him eating too much in one go as this only happens not long after he has eaten breakfast.

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DanielleRose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I forgot to add he had worming done in February and is due in a months time, his jabs have all been done and he is an indoor cat

VAMama

Cosette's maid
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's possible that you may be overdoing it on water. Yes cats need water but not an endless amount. I tried that with my girl, adding water to her wet food twice a day, and her litter box was full of runny stinky poo.

DanielleRose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's possible that you may be overdoing it on water. Yes cats need water but not an endless amount. I tried that with my girl, adding water to her wet food twice a day, and her litter box was full of runny stinky poo.
Thanks, I don’t add water to the wet food very often, but I will stop going forward completely to see if I notice a difference.

This is my first cat who is exclusively wet fed, he absolutely refuses to eat dry food. I am also hyper paranoid at the moment as I lost 3 cats in 16 weeks last year (combination of age (all around 15, I got the close together) and illness despite the vets best efforts they couldn’t be saved) so the slightest thing I think isn’t normal at the moment I am worrying myself sick over it

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would say this may have been coincidental as many, many people here on TCS add water to their cats food at every meal. I do, to four meals per day, just to keep them hydrated, and have not had poop issues from it.

As to the original poster, is it possible you are feeding different pouches of food at different meals. Perhaps turkey for one meal, chicken for another and fish for yet another? If so, maybe keep track of whether or not a certain protein might be causing the loose stool issue.

DanielleRose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As to the original poster, is it possible you are feeding different pouches of food at different meals. Perhaps turkey for one meal, chicken for another and fish for yet another? If so, maybe keep track of whether or not a certain protein might be causing the loose stool issue.
No he has the one same food every day for all meals. I did wonder if he is having too much in one go and that is causing the issue, I was giving him smaller amounts every few hours but changed to three meals a day of a pouch each. The protein in the food he is having is turkey

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No he has the one same food every day for all meals. I did wonder if he is having too much in one go and that is causing the issue, I was giving him smaller amounts every few hours but changed to three meals a day of a pouch each. The protein in the food he is having is turkey
Hmmm. Typically, feeding too much at one time will cause regurgitation vs lose stool. BUT,if this is a recent change in both his eating AND the lose stool, I guess it's possible. Have you tried switching it back up the way it was to see if the problem goes aay?

DanielleRose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hmmm. Typically, feeding too much at one time will cause regurgitation vs lose stool. BUT,if this is a recent change in both his eating AND the lose stool, I guess it's possible. Have you tried switching it back up the way it was to see if the problem goes aay?
I am going to go back to how I was doing it from tomorrow and see how we get on.

We are back at the vets on Tuesday anyway about another issue so I will mention it then again.

DanielleRose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Let us know how it goes.
Thanks I will do, I am considering switching him to a better food to see if that helps. Currently he is eating Purina Pro Plan kitten food which I thought was ok but now really looking again at the ingredients I am not sure. I always fed my previous cats James Wellbeloved (UK) and see that they do a kitten food that is also turkey in gravy by the ingredients look better