A second cat!

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My husband and I were at Petco picking up some supplies last night (including this can lid which is AWESOME: http://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/bowlmates-by-petco-pet-food-can-lid)... and I fell in love with a 2-year-old calico.  She turned and saw me and chirped... and I was heads over heels in love.  She is just as adorable and sweet as our 6-year-old tortie (Coco).

The shelter that partners with our local Petco has a foster-to-adopt program for their adult cats, so we are going to see if Coco is willing to accept her into our home over the next 2-3 weeks.  We've set up a sanctuary room for the new kitty, and plan to bring her home this evening.

Fingers crossed that this will be a good fit!!  It would break my heart if we had to take the kitty back :(

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So we brought Callie home this evening!  She's been doing great, and doesn't seem to be scared of anything.  She quickly explored her "sanctuary" room and wanted to get out to meet Coco and explore the rest of the house!

Coco, on the other hand, is still scared and apprehensive.  She's been doing great though -- no hissing or growling, just some watching from afar.  We also got Callie's scent on a small fleece blanket and then brought it out for Coco to sniff.

I really want to let them meet, but I know it is still too soon for Coco.  Poor Callie, she is so eager to get out and play!  We are super optimistic that this will work out though!

Last edited:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi @dorimon... Congratulations, on adopting Callie.

You are definitely on the right 'cat introductions' path, but may have to 'extend' the time for the actual 'first meeting' to take place.

(2-3 weeks seems a little too fast, when adult cats are involved. Especially, since you described that Coco is still scared and apprehensive.

Take a look at some of these Articles, and see which steps to follow.

[article="32680"]How To Successfully Introduce Cats The Ultimate Guide​[/article]  

[thread="248993"]Tcs Cat Behavior Resources Articles And Important Threads​[/thread]    ...this one is a "Sticky" at the top of the Behaviour forum...and contains many different articles.

Usually, cat intros take anywhere from weeks to months, because the goal is to make both cats so relaxed, that by the time they actually meet...'face to face'...they kind of already 'know' each other, by hearing, scent, sight, and then they can 'touch', each other.

They become so 'de-sensitized' by each other, that the actual meeting, is more of a 'hey, I know you' from your scent, sound, and looks'...versus a 'hey, you're in my territory' type of thing.'

I have no doubts that Callie and Coco, will get along, and it sounds like Callie chose you, in the store,

so now you just have to convince Coco, that Callie will not be any threat to Coco's territory.

(Make sure to tell Coco, that your husband and you, have more than enough 'cat love and attention' to spread around, so that Coco understands that having Callie around is a good thing.) Good Luck.

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Hi @dorimon... Congratulations, on adopting Callie.

You are definitely on the right 'cat introductions' path, but may have to 'extend' the time for the actual 'first meeting' to take place.

(2-3 weeks seems a little too fast, when adult cats are involved. Especially, since you described that Coco is still scared and apprehensive.

Take a look at some of these Articles, and see which steps to follow.

[article="32680"]How To Successfully Introduce Cats The Ultimate Guide​[/article]  

[thread="248993"]Tcs Cat Behavior Resources Articles And Important Threads​[/thread]    ...this one is a "Sticky" at the top of the Behaviour forum...and contains many different articles.

Usually, cat intros take anywhere from weeks to months, because the goal is to make both cats so relaxed, that by the time they actually meet...'face to face'...they kind of already 'know' each other, by hearing, scent, sight, and then they can 'touch', each other.

They become so 'de-sensitized' by each other, that the actual meeting, is more of a 'hey, I know you' from your scent, sound, and looks'...versus a 'hey, you're in my territory' type of thing.'

I have no doubts that Callie and Coco, will get along, and it sounds like Callie chose you, in the store,

so now you just have to convince Coco, that Callie will not be any threat to Coco's territory.

(Make sure to tell Coco, that your husband and you, have more than enough 'cat love and attention' to spread around, so that Coco understands that having Callie around is a good thing.) Good Luck.
Last night, Coco spent some time curiously watching the closed door to the room where Callie is.  Callie is even more vocal than Coco (we never imagined that to be possible), so Coco is becoming more and more curious.

We are closely monitoring Coco's reactions to Callie's scent and voice before letting them have any physical interaction.  Coco did look at Callie through a small crack in the door for a few brief moments.  I would say she doesn't appeared scared anymore, just apprehensive.  She is our queen, and wondering who suddenly moved into her kingdom!

We definitely don't want to rush things, but the shelter does want Callie back after 3 weeks maximum if it doesn't look like things will work out with Coco.  Also, Callie is desperately  trying to leave her room.  She is tiny and fast, and half the time she slips through and we have to retrieve her and put her back inside.

We plan let her out tonight to explore the rest of the house, and put Coco inside to inspect the room.

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also, Callie is really small!  She was wearing a kitten-size collar when we got her (we've since taken it off... you can see it in her photo above!).  She also has a ton of energy and acts like a little kitten.  Is it possible that the shelter got her age/birthday wrong?

She is supposedly 2 years and 1.5 months old.  Coco is a big cat, so maybe we are just not used to Callie's small size... but I can't help but wonder! 

caitini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We definitely don't want to rush things, but the shelter does want Callie back after 3 weeks maximum if it doesn't look like things will work out with Coco. 
Three weeks is a very short time. But if they're not hissing and growling at each other, they'll probably get along at least well enough to tolerate each other.

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Three weeks is a very short time. But if they're not hissing and growling at each other, they'll probably get along at least well enough to tolerate each other.
Yes, I know!  It's quite the balancing act... we need to make sure that Coco doesn't feel threatened, while still giving Callie love and attention.  I'm hoping that it will all be worth it in the end, and that Coco will finally have a playmate :)

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, I'm just in love with those pictures. Especially Coco, so regal and majestic!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

Also, Callie is really small!  She was wearing a kitten-size collar when we got her (we've since taken it off... you can see it in her photo above!).  She also has a ton of energy and acts like a little kitten.  Is it possible that the shelter got her age/birthday wrong?

She is supposedly 2 years and 1.5 months old.  Coco is a big cat, so maybe we are just not used to Callie's small size... but I can't help but wonder! 

Depending on where Callie came from, and how long she has been at the shelter, they could have been off on an estimate of age...especially if only going by 'teeth' and body structure.

It is difficult if no actual date was given for birth, or various kitten vaccinations are not given at certain weeks, so then vets give you approximate ages.

(Over here, they tend to guess a cat's age, at younger, and not older, but I guess it all depends upon the shelter/rescue or agency.)

Some cats are very small in comparison to others, and so it's good to have them weighed, and make sure that they thrive and maintain a good weight, but your vet will do all this for you.

Some cats will act like kittens up until the age of three, or even later, sometimes. So having tons of energy, and acting 'kitten-like' is really hard to gauge.

Usually you will see changes in growth-spurts, fur, and body features as a kitten matures. And like you said, maybe Callie is just a smaller type of cat than Coco. 

onirin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I understand your under a time crunch of keeping or giving Calli back.  Maybe we can find a middle ground.

You dont need to rush the intros as in letting them be together by 3 weeks but you can get a pretty good estimate to how they will get along at certain stages before them.

If they are already eating at the door.

If you can "safely" get to the step of opening the door up a crack or the baby gate and they dont freak out thats all great signs, they will probably be fine.

I dont even know if you'll even be able to get that far in a short time but no matter what I wouldnt rush it.

I know its really tempting cause we love our kitties and want them to get along and be a family but the cat has it's own ideas.

Good luck!  I have a Tortise too and shes such a naughty girl.

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

So I understand your under a time crunch of keeping or giving Calli back.  Maybe we can find a middle ground.

You dont need to rush the intros as in letting them be together by 3 weeks but you can get a pretty good estimate to how they will get along at certain stages before them.

If they are already eating at the door.

If you can "safely" get to the step of opening the door up a crack or the baby gate and they dont freak out thats all great signs, they will probably be fine.

I dont even know if you'll even be able to get that far in a short time but no matter what I wouldnt rush it.

I know its really tempting cause we love our kitties and want them to get along and be a family but the cat has it's own ideas.

Good luck!  I have a Tortise too and shes such a naughty girl.
Callie and Coco are eating in the kitchen together now :)  The two of them are both acting very cautious toward each other, which is great.  Callie seems to have a cold, so she's been spending most of her time in her room.  I don't think we'll have any problems once she's recovered!

Coco has also been sitting by the door, and whenever we are near she turns to us and meows gently, as if she is asking us why we are keeping Callie in there all by herself.