A return at the shelter today

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, they come in wanting kittens because they are smaller and easier to pick up and you explain they will get just as big as all the adults
or because they want to train them etc

Its a difficult situation because most would be great owners if they were younger and so on paper they get preapproved for adoption and then when you take them through to meet the cats so they can get approved for a particular cat, its really difficult to match them and then of course, younger people could get hit by a car tomorrow.

Over the last year or so, I have found more families wanted the kittens and younger people wanted a 5 month+ cat that was already speutered

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is why when I redo my will in a few weeks, any companion animals I have when I pass ... or if I am incapacitated ... will be provided for with a guardian and a trust.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

Yes, they come in wanting kittens because they are smaller and easier to pick up and you explain they will get just as big as all the adults
or because they want to train them etc

Its a difficult situation because most would be great owners if they were younger and so on paper they get preapproved for adoption and then when you take them through to meet the cats so they can get approved for a particular cat, its really difficult to match them and then of course, younger people could get hit by a car tomorrow.

Over the last year or so, I have found more families wanted the kittens and younger people wanted a 5 month+ cat that was already speutered
I have unfortunately dealt with this ... lol .. my semi ferals are the easiest to train

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Unfortunately, this old guy was apparently put to sleep. I mentioned him in "Crossing the Bridge."
For some kitties, that is the best solution. I have, in our computer room closet, a traumatized declawed Manx. Her owner passed away, and the people who adopted her from the shelter were, in the very least, irresponsible -the boy tormented that poor cat for years
when we bought the house, the cat had been abandoned for about 3 weeks & had been without water & now has kidney damage
It took weeks just to get her out from under the closet; she was terrified of other cats, but, oddly enough, since Joey crossed RB, she has been coming out & bullying the kittens. Recently, she decided to come out to the living room & visit me & hiss and chase them. so, we're making progress, but in June it will have been 4 years since I entered her life. I give her cuddles, which she sometimes enjoys but other times just barely tolerates before running off
Very slow going....

honeylioness

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would also highly recommend adopting an older cat or cats. When I took in Abraham (12 yo and 18 pounds) and Mary (10 yo and 22 pounds) from the MSPCA I got two of the biggest love bugs ever. They had lived together for all of Mary's life and had not been taken partly due to their age, and partly their size. They passed at 18 and 17 respectively and while it was tough at the end with their meds and hydration routines I would not have traded those in between years for anything.