Important A reminder about Veiled Swearing

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Just a reminder that veiled swearing is not allowed on the site. We've been seeing more and more of it lately. If a word is not allowed, it is still not allowed if you substitute some letters with other characters such as "*" or "-". There are plenty of ways to say something without swearing, such as :censored:.

Thanks for your understanding.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
AbbysMom AbbysMom - I know in spring of 2018 or thereabouts, the forum rules were tweaked to say, "mild swearing" might be okay or tolerated in some contexts -- could we have a clarification of acceptable "mild" swear words?
(I used to be "that person" who would flag strong swear words years ago and another mod told me in Spring of 2018 that there was a bit more leniency on swearing now... so I just stopped flagging. Not that I want to take that up again! lol- I backed out of swear-word-flagging in 2018! The mod made her point :) :hugs: lol)

Last edited:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
could we have a clarification of acceptable "mild" swear words?
A lot of it depends on context. Shit and crap are OK, but if you are referring to someone as a piece of shit or crap, nope. If you are using a mild swear word pretty much every other word, nope. Tone it down. Hell is OK. Go to hell is not. Ass is OK, calling someone an ass is not.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:salam:

Thanks for clarification :sunshine:

(edit: When I joined the site, the forum rules said: "Keep your posts clean and family friendly. Swearing, including veiled swearing will be deleted out of your post as soon as it is noticed. ..." - which explains my old habit of wanting to flag swearing posts -- in case anyone is worried, I'm not a 'swearing nazi'; just trying to follow forum rules as they develop, lol!)

Last edited:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My rule of thumb has always been that if you use a word in the context it was meant, then it is not a swear word. Any other use of the word is a swear word.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:salam:

Thanks for clarification :sunshine:

(edit: When I joined the site, the forum rules said: "Keep your posts clean and family friendly. Swearing, including veiled swearing will be deleted out of your post as soon as it is noticed. ..." - which explains my old habit of wanting to flag swearing posts -- in case anyone is worried, I'm not a 'swearing nazi'; just trying to follow forum rules as they develop, lol!)
Back in the days before Facebook and all; we had more teens on the site.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of it depends on context. Shit and crap are OK, but if you are referring to someone as a piece of shit or crap, nope. If you are using a mild swear word pretty much every other word, nope. Tone it down. Hell is OK. Go to hell is not. Ass is OK, calling someone an ass is not.
In that case, I may be able to share my story.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm not going to lie, I'm a little scared that you know what the site rules were, word for word, 4-1/2 years ago. :lol:

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Back in the days before Facebook and all; we had more teens on the site.
Not sure I understand your point? :hugs: :hugs:

Facebook started in 2006, I think. Those rules I posted were from 2015, when I joined. Besides, although I have no teens in my house (my husband and I chose not to have kids), I think a lot of teens and even younger kids have smart phones and i-net access -- hence, access to the site. Seems like a lot of kids could be hanging around here. :)

But anyway, when the rules here eased up in 2018, I no longer bother reporting language that falls under swearing.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Not sure I understand your point? :hugs: :hugs:
I think where she was going with it is that as teens gravitated more towards Facebook, Instagram, SnapChat and a bunch more that I am not cool enough or young enough to know about :wink: , our rules here got relaxed a bit. Anything we allow here is mild compared what they see on other sites. :)